Bell's palsy day 10 and still a struggle age 40

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 40 yrs old and I was diagnosed officially 9 days ago however my symptoms started 10 days ago with the worst ear pain I ever had and numb tongue. I have paralysis on my right side of my face. I've done acupuncture since I was diagnosed , steroids, steroid injections and antiviral drugs, not to mention vitamin c ivs w/ b12 in them. I'm starting to feel my rt side but it aches. And my eye is the real issue. It drains all the time. And my faith is failing I'm so tired I can't get any real rest. I drool everywhere. God please tell me the end is near.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there.  You've done everything possible.  Are you using eye drops?  And are you covering your eye at night so you don't scratch your cornea or can you close your eye?  You can drink through a straw to prevent dribbling.  It isn't a fast cure.

• Posted

So sorry you are going thru this..here's the crazy thing i'm on day 12 and i'ts 98% gone...it is bizarre to me...and no one has answers...i hope u feel better soon...make sure u ar taping ur eye at night...xo

• Posted

Steroid injections? Where did they inject you? That’s the first I’ve heard. That’s good news you’re starting to feel the affected side.  The nerve pain is awful. I had constant sharp throbbing pains in my ear and jaw. You’re not alone. Starting to get feeling back after 10 days is good news actually.  It took weeks for my eye to fully close. Give it time. I’d recommend staying on top of things like you are. Acupuncture really helped calm me down
  • Posted

Hi Kristel,

This is only the start of your journey with Bells,we tend to go wild and try every cure to man but that can cause problems of cross wiring nerves down the line.Its still early days so its a matter of doing nothing more than waterbottles to keep the area warm and eye care,i found ointment kinder than drops.Rest is a must,also looking on you tube theirs so many of us out there and other peoples experience is of value. I would sometimes be up all night and ended up just going with it.You may be one of those that recover in a few weeks so dont give up hope.Its so hard when you lose your smilebut you will recover.If you dont wear glasses get a nice pair of sunglasses to help protect your eye.I found cutting out suger usefull and drinking green tea.Let me know where your at.My eyes is painful this morning but I've still got my whisle i use that as a good day sign.💜

• Posted

Hi kristel

I got this crazy medical condition Dec 17, 2017. Mine was a so called mild case meaning my face didn't drop to bad. My eye was the biggest problem watering all the time. It took me 28 days to get muscle movement back. My left side hurt so bad like my muscles were gonna rip out of my face. I still feel effects of this to date. I have sore sports and sometimes feel like it's ready to come back but so far so good. .the sad truth is that it can take awhile to completely heel.

I couldn't drink from a beer bottle or water bottle. I was a mental wreck.

Light is that it should go away. Be patient. I took steroids for 20 out of 28 days.

Contact me with any questions.

Be strong.

You're in my thoughts

John

• Posted

Hi John,

Was interested that you said you were a mental wreck,i to seemed to develop mental issues,Doctors underestimate the effects Bells have on mental health,from the fear of going out to days of deep depression.Bells Palsy changes you in a way others will never understand,you seem to lose your own self along with your smile.I will never look the same again,even though friends say they dont see the change.I am always aware with every little pain it can come back and that is always hanging over me.Some days there is just no upside.💔

• Posted

Hi Lorna,

I'm known for my smile and this really caused me to break down mentally. And the pununciation of my words. I couldn't even use my text to speech in my car to dial numbers. The everyday use of things became more a challenge. I always felt strangers were looking at me like I'm a freak of nature.

Mine was mild case, friends said they could hardly tell but I saw it it every picture I took of myself.

I too am afraid of it ever coming back. I can only pray that it won't. I have pain in my checks from time to time to remind me that I carried this cursed condition.

I'm 46 but look in 30s. You're right doctors need more studies on this and how to cure it.

Please keep in touch

John

• Posted

As I said mine lasted exactly 12 days is 100% completely gone at this point I think from now on I'm going to keep her prescription of Valtrex as well as methylprednisolone and if it starts to happen again as this was time number 2 then I'm going to immediately just start to treat myself I spend all the time wondering if this was due to Lyme disease but nobody of course has any answers

• Posted

Have you had a test for Lyme disease?.  A simple blood test will tell you.  It does happen and then you would get treated for Lyme.  You need to get treatment if it is indeed Lyme.  I had the test, but I didn't have Lyme.

• Posted

Oh yes...4 years ago when I was hit with Bell's for the first time and I was absolutely positive on all the acute fronts I was diagnosed with Lyme 2 weeks after the Bells

• Posted

I am 44 and looks like 28, very beautiful, actually from day one you could notice only while I speak I have it and the doctors told me like it is a mild version which is after 3 months probably not...My whole life changed and never be the same ever..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.