Bell’s palsy head/ear pain, will this ever go away??!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with bell’s palsy a week and a half ago, I am feeling better, and my face looks more normal and I can move the corner of my mouth a little, how ever these past couple days I have developed some aching pain on the left side of my head behind my ear and neck and it’s constant, i’ve been taking advil and it doesn’t help it at all. I am afraid this isn’t going away, have you experienced this when you were diagnosed? Did it ever stop? How long did it take?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I never had any pain with my Bell's, thank goodness, except for a couple of days of discomfort in my ear before paralysis.  The nerve that is affected is behind and adjacent to your ear.  Over the counter drugs should be all you need.

• Posted

I have pain with Bell’s palsy . It’s always in my head above my forehead in varying degrees and I also get various pains which also vary in location. I went through a week when I thought I had problems with my teeth due to the neuralgia in my mouth. It went away again. One thing I would say is that standard pain killers don’t touch it. The feedback I was given is that it is nerves  and their recovery, which causes pain , also synkensis is another factor in the pain, due to muscles misfiring and spasms etc. ( mine set in after 7months) I use nortriptiline which helps at night with pain. During the day, I find ibruprofen sometimes helps. Your gp should advise you. Nerve pain isn’t fun!!

if your problems go on long term, Botox  provides pain relief. It also means I can drop the oral pain relief I had to take every day to a certain extent.

good luck

• Posted

You are still in very early stages.  It may take a few months.  Stay calm and hang in there.
  • Posted

has anyone experienced a burning sensation in your scalp and ear on side that is affected by bells palsy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.