Bell's Palsy - massage or not to massage

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all i was diagnosed with bell palsy 9 days ago and just coming to end of 10 days 60mg prednisolone.

my face has had no improvement, i dont think its got worst but possibly feel like my mouth especially is kind of gtetting more used to going the wrong way.... perhaps muscles are tightening from no use.

I hear mixed messages about how much and when you can start excercising face.

im concerned mostly about mouth where there is is the worst paralysis. barely any movement bottom left. eating an apple is impossible unless sliced up!

i have had no pain really throughout. i wish i did have pain as maybe it would feel like it is alive and repairing!

so how much can i do? one thing i read was to massage and pull over the 'good side"

I'm considering acupuncture next week too! always been a sceptic of this but desparate to see something!!!

Thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Found the Bell's Palsy UK site very helpful, with clicks to go through to the massage page etc. They discourage exercise but encourage very light gentle massage they have a video of hoe and where to do it, and - as you said - pulling across of the good side because the muscle get too tight. I also still find it very sore just to the bad side under the eyebrow, the nose and the chin!

I got it on Mar 22nd and have had small improvements to my mouth and speech just recently; my blink is at about 'bl' my nostril won't open so that's a real pain at night and I taste a metal bar most of the time!  Feel an idiot having to lick my lips to speak ...

I absolutely understand the desperation I read in your letter.  I am finally starting to see tiny changes and it really does boost you. I check the mirror wearing dark glasses and holding the bad side - the smile I get back is ME!

So I am still there and I will get right! You will too!  confused

Let me know if you have difficulty finding the site - when I get home I will find the link

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.