Bell's Palsy possibly a second time?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone! I got Bell's palsy in early march of this year. I started to get pretty good movement back at the beginning of April and soon after regained I'd say 97% back. During I experienced severe nerve pain feeling as if someone had taken a baseball bat to the right side of my face. A day or two before the paralysis set in I felt a burning ripping sensation on the right side of my scalp and my tongue and lips felt weird on that side and it progressed from there. I have a very high tolerance for pain but the nerve pain I felt was awful. That mostly subsided aside from touching my face up until now has hurt but not nearly as terrible and slowly gotten better. Three days ago (Monday) my right eye and the surrounding area (eyebrow, lid, and the side of the bridge of my nose) started twitching quite a bit and hard twitches. I'm now experiencing more nerve pain and today have developed a burning sensation and constant pain in my forehead above the right eye. And as the day goes on I'm experiencing neck pain into my shoulder and back of head on right side and also had the burning sensation. As well as my scalp having that same feeling. Could this be a sign that I'm going to have a recurrence? If you had a recurrence, did you notice signs that "told" you it was going to happen? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Wow, I've heard you can get this twice but I've never heard such severe reaction.  Have you gotten the drugs they prescibe?  I don't know if the drugs help but you should see someone.  Maybe a neurologist?   I don't know that anything helps, just have to wait it out.  Let me know how you do.

• Posted

I don't have Bell's palsy again, at least not yet anyway. I'm just scared that with my symptoms I'm experiencing that I'm going to get it a second time. I'm wanting to get some feedback from anyone that went through it a second time to see if they had symptoms that sort of let them know they'd be getting it again? The first time I got it earlier this year I experienced similar symptoms for a couple of days before the paralysis actually hitjust not as bad as what I'm feeling now. I'm just really hoping that I'm nervous for no reason. 

• Posted

The residual effects and damage of bells can effect the nerves for a very long time. I had Bell's Palsy in January 2015 and I still have hemifacial spasms (rapid nerve twitches) on the effected side. You can indeed get the condition more than once and it is more likely in the first year of recovery. However I urge you not to worry as the pain you feel is normal, a lot of people who get bell's palsy feel no pain, as compression is slow and unnoticed but for rapid onset where pain accompanies the condition then a burning, thousand needles sensation during regeneration is to be expected. If you're on medication for the condition keep taking it, also you can start a course of ibuprofen 2 tablets 3 times a day, this will ease pain and act as an anti-inflammatory, speeding up healing. You may have regained movement but the nerves are still damaged and areas around them are swollen. Nerves regenerate at about the same speed hair grows. A 4cm section of damage will take roughly 2 months to fully heal. And healing is likely to be uneven and nerves are also likely to get crossed, so twitching is almost guaranteed.

Mark

• Posted

Thank you for your response! After 9 days the twitch between my eye and nose stopped. You could see whatever it was pulsating out which of course made me pretty nervous and fascinated at the same time. I still have everything else but at least that's not causing the crazy migraines I was experiencing. I do have daily headaches ever since I got bell's but what I was experiencing during this was make you want to puke migraines. 

• Posted

Sounds like your palsy was aura related. Migraines with aura can reflect stroke like symptoms, have you see your doctor about Migraines? Perhaps you can get some treatment for them.
    • Posted

They don't seem worried about anything since I regained pretty much all of my movement. I saw my family dr 2 weeks ago and let him know I was still experiencing the nerve pain in my face when I touch anywhere on that side. He wanted me to start on gabapentin but I haven't started it yet. I hate taking medication. I told him I always get headaches but he didn't seem to acknowledge it which was likely due to me not making a big deal of it. I usually just accept things and move on and deal with it. Just for that 9 days my head just hurt worse than usual and got to a point I could hardly make it through the day while the area around my eye started twitching out of no where. I wish I could upload a video. It was super weird but fascinating.  

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean, as a doctor who has experienced bell's palsy first hand I can agree that the visible twitching is worrying yet somehow very interesting. Try the course of ibuprofen, I know you say you don't like taking medication but it will deal with the pain and definitely help healing. I still get twitches especially when I eat for a long time, like chewing gum or a big bag of crisps. Totally normal.

• Posted

Yeah I've always had issues with my jaws but it's so much worse now when I chew beef jerky or gum a lot or things like that. I start twitching and such but nothing like the one spot at all. I will definitely give ibuprofen a try. Thank you! 

• Posted

Am now 52 never I'll but wen I was 14 I got bells palsy had it for six months and I got it a gain wen I was 16 had it for 3monthes both times wor of in my foetus got nemoniour now am in a wheelchair suffering from osteoarthritis and every time I've been sent for a medical wen they realise I've had bells palsy twice they seem to fob me off and get rid offme

• Posted

I was diagnosed last Saturday in the ET with BP on right side after having on left side 14 years ago. Thankful it was not a stroke. MORE LATER.

• Posted

I was diagnosed last Saturday in the ET with BP on right side after having on left side 14 years ago. Thankful it was not a stroke. MORE LATER.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.