Bell’s Palsy - What age and how long did it last?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been following Bell's Palsy threads on here for the last year. Curious to know how old everyone was when they got Bell's Palsy and how long did it last?

For me: 1st time - 17 lasted about 3 weeks. 2nd time - 25 lasted about 6 weeks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

First onset Feb 2017 I was 58. Which might have something to do with the long duration. Had to use a straw for nearly a year. Improvement is ongoing. Everything else still works, so I can't complain. hittin 60 this year, with a little more than half a smile 😉😁

• Posted

I was 22 when I first got it. Only had it once thankfully. It lasted about 3 weeks before I got movement back. You can get it at any age, children get it too. The most common age is between 18-30.

Mark

• Posted

Got it age 71, have permanent muscle damage.

• Posted

Hi Sharon, I recall reading quite a few of your posts. I know you never fully recovered...what percentage would you say you were at?

• Posted

I'm wondering if age has any factor on onset and length of recovery? Seems like it. Interested to see more responses.

• Posted

I was curious about that too. wondering if the older folks like me didn't get over it as well.

• Posted

47 years old, still dealing with it.. i am going on my 8th month now. I am able to close my eye and drink without a straw but there is still areas that are weak and synkinesis has set in. For instance, when i try to move my lips such as talking, eating or the ridiculous "duck face", my affected eye closes a little. i cannot fully smile just yet. Just dont understand why some heal quicker than others. Everyone tells me it will go away, it is not life threatening.... just tired of it. Hard to embrace something that took my beautiful smile away from me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.