bellesmum1

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ive been drinking since my husband died two and a half years ago

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, so sorry to hear about your loss. I assume you are worried about your drinking if you've posted on here. You'll find lots of support here. But I'm wondering did you drink before your husband died? Do you drink alone or socially? If you're worried and want to change please do see your doctor. I wish you all the best and God bless.
  • Posted

Please make an appointment to discuss with your doctor.  If nothing else, he/she will be able to assess your overall health and offer some suggestions of how you can stop or reduce your drinking, or perhaps refer you on to a local organisation near you who can offer you more one-2-one help.

There are lots of options out there, one of which will probably suit your circumstances.

You have taken the first step by posting here, now go just that little bit further and reach out to someone.  We are all here to provide support.

Joanna.

• Posted

Tell us a bit about the drinking before the death and how it has changed since then. Is it filling a gap in your life, numbing the pain, is it that much that if affects your life in general.

I would understand these before I went to see my GP. Some are good (mine is) and some just prescribe you some drugs and send you on your way, which is not the answer.

• Posted

Hi Dogsmum,

I am am very sorry to hear of you loss. How devestating life can be sometimes taking so much from us. Taking someone so close to is like a piece of yourself is missing, gone forever.  I went to grief counseling after a year trying to regain my life.

I lost my husband due to an accident, hit by a dunk driver an put me in a coma.

It took many months to regain my memory an I had lost so much weight from grieving as I was also carrying our first child I lost from the accident.

I began to go to grief therapy. It taught me a constructive way to grieve and I began to find my way thru the grief that had held me down.  Everyone grieves differently. Therapy saved my life in many ways.

I share this story wih you becuz I want you to know that there is help for the grieving as it can control who we are, we get so far down in a hole it's hard to dig our way back up. I found that in my experience positive reinforcement thru therapy helps so much. It takes time. The pain does become livable but the scar is always there.

I took the time to tell you that you can find a way to enjoy life again . Maybe not as the same person as change is part of life and learning to accept the terrible things that happen to us is the first step. 

It it took me many months to come out of a deep depression and from the loss of the love of my life. 

Today I am remarried and happy with all that life throws my way. It's not always a bowl of cherries . My son is an alcoholic. It's been very difficult at times, yet there are ways to treat this disease.

Talk with your doctor and he can help with meds and or help direct you to a good grief counselor. In the U.S. there are grief education groups and it is free. This helped set me free and it can do the same for you too!

God bless you, & I pray that you find relief, strength, comfort, & ultimately freedom from your illness.

HOPE4CURE

• Posted

Hi have you had any counselling for your breavement .  Is the alcohol affecting your life now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.