Bells Palsy twice! :(

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone had Bells Palsy twice and recovered? I'm beginning to get worried because the first time I had Bells it didn't take this long to recover. My recovery this time started at week #3 but now it seems to be at a stand still. Had this happened to anyone else? Also now I have a straining noise in my ear when I smile, lift my eye brow, or scrunch my nose is anyone else experiencing this?

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have encountered the condition twice. Once at the age of 13 and the second time at the age of 28. Both took over a year to subside. Both were at random non stressful times. I have tried steroids but only made me restless and of course the Dr. Wanted me to take the big viral pill for kicks. No dice. Acupuncture and a well trained massage therapist was the best outcome to deal with the matter. Mine was quite painful from constant twitching and muscle spasms which still occurs every so often. My face is mostly symmetrical in recovery buy I still feel and notice a difference.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply I've had a lot of pain this time also. I'm starting to notice things coming back little by little each day thank God. I see the wrinkles coming back on my forehead but I still can't raise my eyebrow as much as the other one. How long did it take your smile to come back? I've noticed that my smile and also my eye are taking the longest to come back. My eye is better but it still looks bigger than the other one and doesn't blink the same way my other one does. Also my smile doesn't curl if that makes any sense.. When I smile the curve goes up instead of curling did you experience that.

• Posted

Regarding the pain - primarily it's good news, because it means that the life is returning.  The self massage shouldn't be forceful - (the massage shouldn't be painful),  it is your face afterall. There is no need to attack it. Just gentle stimulation little and often, the massage will be releasing blockages, stimulating blood flow and so help reduce the pain.  I get confused by the advice with people being told to wait. Both in China & the States some protocols advise physio / massage intervention for strokes to be typically introduced after just a few days - it makes sense.  Perhaps what doctors are concerned about is the inflammation, but once it has calmed, then it should be ok - you're after week 3. So keep gently going.

• Posted

Massage now is a little pointless, nerve stimulation is no longer necessary as compression is released. You now need to give the nerve time to heal, keep your face warm and try not to apply pressure to your ear, so no swimming, headphones/headsets and use a soft pillow when you sleep also try your best not to sleep on your hand. The bony hand will apply unwanted pressure to the face slowing down recovery. Take a vitamin B supplement to help nerve regeneration and most of all relax and take something for the pain.

You'll soon be back to smiling.

Regards

Mark

• Posted

Hello, im fairly new to this website so a bit unfamiliar as to how these types of forums operate, nevertheless, i will try my best. smile I first got Bell's Palsy about 7 months ago, it lasted about 2-3 weeks and i had managed to recover without any lasting damage to my muscles. just four days ago, unfortunately, i contracted it again, and this time it seems to be worse. I went to local hospital where a doctor he had given me prednisone and acyclovir, two drugs that, from the extensive research that i had done on them, seem to cause severe side effects that could damage my body, even more so than Bell's Palsy. I guess what im trying to ask you all is this: What should I do? Should i trust the doctor who had given me these drugs and hope that they don't mess with my body, or should I look for alternative ways for seek treatment that don't involve strong drugs? Do be honest, im absolutely terrified right now, and i could really use some advice right now. Thanks smile

• Posted

Hello ,

I'm sorry to hear that you got this condition again. You're the first person that I've heard of that got it the second time so quickly after the first.  It seems like the second time around is always worse for everyone. I took the same medications that your doctor is suggesting that you take. It didn't damage my body but they did have side effects while I was taking them. Medication affects each person differently so you just have to decide if you want to risk taking them. I'm a spiritual person so I just prayed about it and took the medicine. The pills caused me to gain a few pounds because the steroids made me really hungry. Also they caused my face to break out and there were times when I felt really jittery but once I finished taking the pills all those things went away. I had a severe case of Bells Palsy and my fave was really disfigured so honestly I didn't think that the pills would do more damage than I was already facing. I wish you the best of luck and I would suggest you pray about whether you should take the pills or not. If you aren't spiritual just take into account the pros and cons. I've heard of people recovery with and without using meds so it's all a person choice. Please keep me updated with your progress!

• Posted

Hello e64767,

I have had Bell's Palsy twice.  I had it first in 1992 on the right side of my face.  That time it lasted approx. 6 weeks.  I have it now on the left side of my face since Aug. 26, 2016.  It is improved, but not gone.  I can now close my eye....chew on the left side, can move my cheek on the left.  Still unable to smile and sometimes, people have a difficult understanding what I say.  I have done facial exercises which has helped.  Good Luck to you.  I hope you have made progress.  I understand how frustrating it is. 

• Posted

Hello everyone I haven't been on this website for a while so I decided to come and give an update. It has been  10 months since I got bells for the 2nd time. I have improved a lot! I can smile now and I can talk without slurring certain words. My eye can close now and the dryness has went away. My eye was really bad so im thankful for that! There are still times when my eye gets a little irritated but it's not to much to handle. My smile still isn't the way that it used to be. My top lip doesn't go up as much as the other side but it's not noticeable to other people. Also my Bell's palsy eye closes more when I open my mouth or smile. I don't have any pain anymore and my hearing has also returned on the affected side. Everyday my smile gets better and I see small improvements. I decided a few months into having this condition that I would be positive and have hope no matter what the doctors told me! ive learned to stop focusing on perfection and be grateful for small changes. It wasn't until I stopped being obsessed with looking in the mirror trying to see if things were improving,  that I actually started to heal! Stress just makes this condition worse so I pray that anyone reading this would try their best to think positive and have hope that they will get better.

It might take you months or even years but until then you have to get out and enjoy life. I found out pretty quickly that it didn't matter if I hid from the world or went out in public...I STILL had Bells Palsy. Think positive no matter what you see or feel. You will get better!

• Posted

I have had 6 episodes of Bell's palsy I am 57 I've been reading up on it I have diabetes and I have high blood pressure these are some of the things that can also trigger Bell's palsy

• Posted

I have Bells on Palsy once again for the second time in two years, only this time is much worse as I remember being extremely tired but this time I am completely wiped out and haven't moved from my bed in a week. I facial paralysis much worse too. I Does anyone have any facts about this? I My husband of 35 years passed away 23 months ago, and I It has been difficult to say the least. I I am aware we all have the ability to help in our healing.. Prayers welcome. Thank you and my thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

• Posted

Hi I'm finished with the meds but still having trouble smiling and swallowing the meds have made my sugar too high having the hardest time keeping it down

• Posted

I'm one of the rare people who have gotten it twice- once 6 years ago and once 4 years ago.

Fortunately i made a full rexovery in 3-4 weeks the first time and 2-3 weeks the second time and have no lasting symptoms.

I hope and pray I don't get it again. It's a truly scary and horrifying experience and my heart goes out to anyone who was not able to make a full recovery.

• Posted

Unfortunately I have been diagnosed with Bells Palsy for the second time. I'm only 19! I'm currently on week 11 for having half my face paralyzed and it really is a difficult journey. As a uni student i have had to fill out Extenuating Circumstances Forms (ECF) that gives me an extra 20 days to complete my uni work which is a MASSIVE help considering the condition is worse at times of stress! I have also had to avoid doing presentations and speaking infornt of large crows due to the humiliation of people pointing out about my face. I'm hoping i wake up on week 13 and all will be back to normal, but now i'm starting to lose hope and perhaps it might be more likely to recover at the 6 month mark sad it was never this long when i first had it at 15/16 years old i think previously i had recovered in two weeks. With uni exams and deadlines i'm finding it impossible to stress less so i really dont think it is helping at all sad & I'm a little worried accupuncture might make it worse.. has anybody tried acxupuncture for this? In the hope recovery might speed up/improve?

• Posted

Hi I’m on my third time of having it now 😞 just wondering how you are all getting on? 

First time I was 12 weeks pregnant and my full right side dropped and couldn’t close my eye. Took 6 weeks to go

Second time was just after Xmas this year really only affected my mouth but it didn’t fully heal like the first time my eye was still affected in a sense that when I pouted or did facial expressions one eye closed more than the other and my mouth was still slanted and it happened again on Friday had loads of mad pains in m my face I said to my boyfriend I think it’s happening again and by the time I had got home my mouth dropped.

What’s really weird is it’s onky affected my mouth and like under my eye but I can close it. When I get loads of pains which I have done so much this time it’s making me feel ill and I can’t cope with it. Got an appointment with ENT tomorrow to hopefully see what’s happening. I’m 29 years old and it’s starting to get to me now. It’s weird thought because when the pains come this time it makes me face look worst and then it eases. I don’t know if am coming or going with it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.