Belly Button Pain in 9 year old daughter

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter is 9 and had a sudden onset of belly button pain that is dull constantly but extreme when pressed at belly button and below.  She screams out in pain when she urinates. She cannot  eat without pain afterwards.  She literally foams from her mouth.  She now has cloudy urine on occasion.  She has had an extensive work up of urine tests, endoscopy, colonoscopy, HIDA scan, ultrasounds of appendix and gallbladder, blood work.

Nearly all the tests turned up nothing except the HIDA scan.  The first one was inconclusive and the next one showed a 36% output, with 35% being the low of normal.  She is 9.  I would expect that there should be more attention given to this, but that is just coming from a mom.

She has had hydronephrosis since birth with no complications.  Her GI docs told me that she had biliary dyskinesia as a working diagnosis, but her Pediatrician told me she needs to see a psychiatrist.  

This is a life loving adventurous girl who was thrilled about everything.  She had just finished swimming lessons and was excited to be learning a new stroke and to practice it when this pain suddenly came on. 

She has been through tortuous tests, been hospitalized and is still saying it hurts.  I believe her when she says this is real.  I don't know what to do. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello 

Just take her to the psychiatrist to make sure is ok . The mind do things and we don’t know whether is real or not.  I went to a psychiatrist because and abdominal pain for 3 yrs and I went there first he told me to go see a doctor to make sure it is no physical pain and if is nothing go see him. 

I hope she feels better. 

• Posted

Thanks, I am just at such a loss as to why it would come to a mental thing.
    • Posted

I just said take her just in case. But also can you get a second opinion as well not all doctors are diligents and most are very dismissive .  Hope she gets better. 
  • Posted

First, this must be very upsetting for all concerned.  I'm no expert whatsoever but I really fail to see how cloudy urine can be linked to 'mind problems'? You must live in the US??? Forget that altogether FFS. Ok, this may be a long shot but I've seen something very similar.  I've forgot what its called but its when the kidneys cant flush out urine and it back tracks back up to the kidney, in essence the kidney, ureters and bladder are partly full all the time with old urine. I would have thought this would have been picked up but yet again I've seen this missed in the past.  It causers many of the symptoms you mention due to constant infections ranging from very minor which only the labs can identify to full blown LONG lasting major ones that require hospitalization.  Like I said its a long shot.  Good luck.    

• Posted

Thanks, you actually are not the first person to suggest this, esp since she already has hydronephrosis.  Her PCP just called me this a.m. and said her urine culture came back normal.  Her pain has seemed to get better over the weekend, so not sure if this thing could be recurrent.  My friend who mentioned it is from the Philippines and she said US doctors are not as diligent as doctors overseas.  I found it interesting that you intimated on the same idea.  Not to say US doctors are bad at all, but just interesting...
    • Posted

It is true. I’m from Puerto Rico and the doctors there are very diligent and not dismissive. I have been in the USA for 26 year and they are Different and they are in 15 min slot and that is not much time to explain. 

• Posted

Your daughter needs to see another GI doctor since she complaining of physical pain. Since she is feeling the pain, this means that it is not in her head.  Her problems sound like they are linked to the health problems she already has had since birth. A psychiatrist would not help with this.  Doctors often fob you off with the anxiety label if the patient is very young and they can’t diagnose the problem.  Keep telling her pediatrician that she was happy and very outgoing before the onset of her pain. Also see a different pediatrician.who will take you seriously.
    • Posted

Thanks, we did see another one, but they were in the same practice so it was a waste of time.  There just not too many options for Ped GI around here sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.