Belly button wound

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, so I'm now 5 days since having my gall bladder removed, generally doing ok still very bloated and sore  especially lower back. My wounds all seem to be ok other than the belly button? Just changed the dressing and where the stitches are it just looks gross and all brown/oozy?! Not to sure on how it should look but it just doesn't look quite right. I don't have a fever or anything so was just interested to see how everyone else had healed. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fiona. Sounds like you are doing pretty well! I am three and a half weeks post op and still quite bloated. My wounds are doing okay but my belly button one still has a big scab! I was told to take all my dressings off after 2-3 days which was pretty scary. Sonia your belly button wound still oozing, or is it dried blood? If you are concerned at all I would either ring the hospital or maybe get the nurse at your GP surgery to check it for you. 
  • Posted

Hi Fiona, I had my surgery back in March so you're still early days yet, just make sure you rest lots, walk around to disperse the gas and take it easy.

With regards to your belly button incision I would go to your gp and see the nurse if it continues just to check it out. As Lynne said it'll be blood but just check it out to make sure that you haven't got an infection in it. I would change your dressing every day and clean it when you do and hopefully that'll help in the mean time. I use to put some antiseptic cream on mine initially as it got really itchy and sore and I found that helped. 

If you're worried about it then get it checked out just for a peace of mind. 

Look after yourself and don't over do it. x

• Posted

Know it's not the same but when I got my appendix out last year it oozed a bit for a week or so. I got dressings from nurse at GP surgery which were mepilex/mepitel. They were padded and felt like gel. Think you can buy them in pharmacies too. Could always get GP nurse to check. That's what I did with one of my other wounds xx

• Posted

The dressings are called mepilex border and are some kind of foam xx
  • Posted

I had open surgery but notice lots of people who've had key hole surgery complain about the belly button incision. When you change dressing be uber clean. Wash hands thoroughly first with soap and water, then use antiseptic hand gel. Clean the wound with cool boiled water and cotton wool. One gentle but firm wipe, then discard the cotton wool and repeat until the slough is removed. Then use a clean dressing. Keep a check on your temperature and see your practice nurse if there is redness and heat when you touch it as you may need antibiotics.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Hi Fiona, I know it's been a few months since you posted about your surgery and I hope you're feeling much better. I recently had gall bladder surgery (2 weeks today) and wondering how the healing process in belly button area turned out for you. That's the one area where I'm still quite sore and wondering how long it will be until the soreness subsides. I'm still bloated and can't stand anything rubbing my belly button so I usually just keep it covered up with a dressing. I'm wondering if I'm doing more harm in keeping it covered up instead of letting the wound air. Please forgive my silly question, but how long did you keep that area covered up with the dressing?

• Posted

My bellybutton incision was super sensitive so had it covered with a dressing too. I’d managed to tear open the stitches though by stretching for something and it then got infected. So think the pus underneath was causing pain as well. So ended up having it covered for around 6-7 weeks xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.