Belly Fat - help!!!

Posted , 15 users are following.

I’m really struggling with belly fat since starting perimenopause. I’m 50 and cannot seem to tone this area despite many diets and some exercise . Does anyone have any suggestions for something that WORKS and target belly fat?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

Omg! Yes, I sympathise with you, Kate. The scary thing is, I had a flat stomach one day and a huge roll of fat appeared overnight. Seems totally impossible to shift in spite of copious amounts of sit ups and planks. If I put on my jeans, the roll of fat migrates northwards to hang over the waistline! I always used to wonder why women of a certain age wore billowing tents for blouses; now I know why!

I'm sorry I have no answer, but I thought you might like to know that you're not alone.

• Posted

You're not alone and I wish I knew the solution too. Everything migrates to the middle. So frustrating!

• Posted

You're not alone and I wish I knew the solution too. Everything migrates to the middle. So frustrating!

• Posted

I know.. I have the belly too.. It's really disgusting-- and I can't seem to stay motivated on an eating plan. Women our age have to fight tooth and nail just to get a bit off which can be exhausting itself. My cousin who is 56 has a huge belly and for years she would often complain about that and her meno symtoms. She recently took interest in eating veggies and proteins and says something is working which to me is exciting and I hope she continues with it..

• Posted

Hi yes you are NOT alone! I've always eaten low carb, paleo and even added 2 days of fasting but nothing really working. I've read tho we really need to amp up our exercise intensity at our age so I'm trying to do a couch to 2K or whatever. Essentially train myself to run on the treadmill vs usual walking which no longer works. 😦 I've gone up 2 pant sizes since last year and am eating less than ever. Yet I have these super skinny friends who I think just have high metabolism that haven't gained any weight. 😦 I'm also shedding hair like crazy. I would seriously consider going on low-dose birth control if I didn't have a large fibroid. But do not take progresterone on it's own if they suggest it, it will only make you gain MORE weight. Let me know if any of you ladies figure anything out ... I will do same.

• Posted

Oh dear dear, you are NOT ALONE. I feel bloated, uncomfortable and BIG around the belly. It varies from day to day. But even best of days I have a belly. I weigh one or 2 kg more or less day to day. It is shocking to see. Obviously this is not putting on weight. Perhaps water retention around the belly that goes up and down. I also have lingering pain on my right side, under my ribcage, It seems connected to the big belly. The bigger my belly the bigger the pain is. SUCH PAIN in many ways. Good luck to all ladies suffering...

• Posted

I started with this belly fat this winter., and so funny you mention that pain on the right side! mine is not a pain, but more of a discomfort. so far the belly fat is not too out of hand...but I can quickly see it going there if I am not very careful.

I think the pain under the ribs has to do with either my bras suddenly being too small, or my wine indulgences becoming a problem, lol! but the discomfort is real

• Posted

Yes, I think this comfort is the true description of it. But a bit more than discomfort since internal. I tend to think it is my liver can't cope with certain food and even small amount of alcohol.. All the best

• Edited

Lord do I get ya!!! one day im flat bellied and then i noticed this roll happening at the bottom. Then as if over night once put on HRT and other meds for severe peri symptoms i have a belly the size of 6mths preganant what the heck!!

i admit these days im not exercising due to pain and exhaustion but i eat small amounts and am pescatarian (eats veg and seafood only) still not budging the scales. also i now have a double chin double what the heck or should say neck.....

I'm 50. I'm fed up. i see women twice my age..... ok wait thats a slight exaggeration.... older than me who are way thinner, healthier looking... younger looking. i used to always look younger than i was and them BOOM Its like the universe said ' thats enough of that' and i aged over night..... i reckon it threw some extra too..... i tell ya I'm coming back as a gorgeous hunk of a man with intelligence and compassion..... or a unicorn...

• Posted

OMG Shylee yes sister! Same, it's like the hormones make you put on weight so what's the point? I had the same problem with progesterone. And I also see women older than me who are super thin. Makes me wonder if maybe when you are past menopause you start losing weight???? Then again there are also other women like my sister who was always tall and thin that claim they didn't gain any weight! I think some women who are naturally thin with high metabolisms just aren't affected. Sadly I got my father's crap genes instead of my mom's tall thin beautiful genes. I am starving myself and for a while was walking 2 hours a day and no difference. And now the hair thinning and terrible anxiety. 😦 I really want to find a good OBGYN but there are none that seem to have a clue how to help or care, even female docs.

• Posted

It really is shocking what we go through. i have always been very thin, even after having 3 children. it was when i went on medication the weight went on. when i got off it i lost the weight not all of it but most. now with severe peri symptoms i hadto go on meds and so now the weight is back and more so because of my age and lack of exercise. the pain and exhaustion just stops me. its really frustrating.

yes the thinning hair is awful to. make sure you use good shampoo and conditioner for strengthening and eat things that promote healthy skin, nails and hair. i know I'm lacking right now. lots of water to.

• Edited

That is exactly how it is...BOOM..I swear one.night I went to bed looking great for my age and the following morning I woke up I couldn't recognize myself, I mean what the actual f#*k

• Posted

Thanks, everybody, for empathizing and helping me feel I'm not alone. I wish we could've identified a solution, but at least we are in this together.

One side recommendation to those of you who mentioned hair loss: My hairdresser recommended I stop washing my hair so often because it dries out the scalp and causes hair loss, which is especially bad at this time of life. I now wash my hair just once a week (shower daily, of course, but I use a shower cap). I've also stopped combing my hair in the shower because it causes hair to fall out. Hair is at its most vulnerable when it is wet, so we all need to baby our hair now. No excessive towel drying or heavy styling. There are some oils that can soften hair, and I'm told castor oil rubbed into the scalp can stimulate hair growth.

• Posted

I totally hear you on the shedding. Thanks for the skip shampooing tip. I tried to not comb my hair when it's wet but then I noticed say if I didn't comb it for 3 days, the third day an even bigger clump/knot would come out balled up at the ends of my hair. So not brushing didn't really help. I have been taking biotin for almost 3 weeks but so far no difference. Also tho, I just bought this Alterna densifying treatment and shampoo that according to Sephora reviews stops hormonal shedding and helps hair grow more. I'll let you ladies know if it works. This morning I just started using it after having a huge clump fall out in the shower and another when I was just massaging styling gel into my wet hair. 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.