Bend?????

Posted , 3 users are following.

4 weeks now since tkr and still struggling to bend further than about 80%. Straightening pretty good. Pain controllable. Nights are far better than before --- I sleep most of the night! I massage it a lot which makes a HUGE difference. It was so solid before an osteopath friend started on the massage. Makes such a difference. Was like trying to bend a tree trunk!I'm hoping the bend will get better in time????? Don't want it manipulated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Serena,

I was pretty much the same at 4 weeks, it was like trying to bend a block of wood, I am 10 weeks PO now and am managing about 100 bend which is not ideal but it's slowly getting there but still feels like a block of wood especially in the morning.I could only bend at 85 before the op. Everyone is different but keep up with the exercises and attending PT and you will slowly but surely get there. I have learnt just to try and stay positive and patient and that's all you can do.

Good Luck 😉

• Posted

Hi Serena ,

Your only 4wks post op ... that's still early in this game. My first knee I didn't bend (or straighten ) until I was 11 wks post op. Everyone is different and will experience replacement differently. As its been suggested to me stop pushing so hard you have 12 wks after surgery before they say nothing else can be done ( that's what I was told with my first knee), you will get there. Keep doing your exercises and icing. Just remember it takes time to heal. Good luck to you .

• Posted

Thanks. That's really encouraging. I won't despair just yet then!

• Posted

Hi Serena

Well done on all you are doing.

Yes, the massage of the incision scar is one of THE most important things to do in your recovery from TKR.

It helps to break down & prevent more scar tissue, it breaks up & stops adhesions in the underlying structures.

Don't forget you've had your flesh, muscle, nerves in the knee area cut up, sliced & diced in order to fit the nice shiny new joint. If all that internal tissue is left to itself it will clump together (adhesions) the absolute enemy of us who are hoping to get back in our feet again!

So keep it up, I massage my scar daily, even now at 4.5 months po.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks. I haven't really got stuck into massaging scar yet just the puffiness all around, but I'll start that now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.