Bending down/kneeling

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have to bend down a lot and that includes actual squatting but I have been told I should not do that! Any comments please. Had my THR (left) over 1 year ago!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I was always told you are not suppose to go past the 90 degrees because you can risk a dislocation which is not fun I speak from experience 3 times my right hip dislocated. it's better to be safe than sorry

• Posted

The booklet given to me by Ramsey Health says that at three months after the operation you can bend more than 90, put on your own shoes and socks, dance and do gardening. I don't know if they are being over optimistic.

• Posted

I am one year out of LTHR. IT dislocated while I was in hospital so I was on restrictions (no bending past 90 degrees etc) for 6 weeks. I was then told to go back to normal life and theres not really any positions I shouldn't do. I was told to do squats by my physio. I also can go (and do at the gym) way way past 90 degrees. The muscles around the hip should be hugely instrumental in keeping it stable and not dislocating. I am of course careful and listen to my body carefully, so fingers crossed I'm fine.

• Posted

Hi Rhovin,

Hope overall you are happy one year on.....

I'm afraid the information given varies surgeon to surgeon.

Mine was on the liberal do anything bar bungy jumping school, but yes understand your confusion.

Maybe the advice given by them is partly age and activity and overall health linked?

So do what you fancy and unless advised otherwise, enjoy!!!

Paix

Mic

X

• Posted

Well the physios at the hospital where I had my op, had us kneeling down and getting back up at the hip school 2 weeks post op We had to kneel and get back up for 3 minutes as part of the exercises. Also had a squatting exercise at that class. I have had no issues kneeling or squatting. Maybe there's a reason you were told not to? Perhaps recheck with the physios / surgeon to ask why?

Good luck

Ann

• Posted

Some people are told they cannot bend at all in the future, others (like me) are told to go and do almost anything. It all depends on your condition after the surgery, and the skill of the surgeon in positioning everything just right.

At 10 weeks, I was told I could go back to the gym, do sit-ups, row, and various leg exercises, and I could go back to 'gentle' golf. I was in much better shape before this operation, so I have recovered far faster than from my previous ones.

• Posted

Hi Rocketman/Rhovin

I think as well as how we as patients are doing, some surgeons are more naturally cautious /Conservative than others.

I also think Rocketman is a 'can do' person who will overcome anything thrown at him.

So, good luck with bending, as much or little as you and your gym PT agree on.

Take care

Mic

Exeter

UK

• Posted

I think a surgeon will take a more careful approach if they have had a certain problem with a patient in the past against others who have not.

• Posted

I do have bones that are crumbling!! I would think this is the reason the Surgeon was not over optimistic. Thanks for your replies. In fact, it hurts more to bend over rather than squat

• Posted

i am six weeks postop and no longer have any restrictions. i am allowed to stretch and try to reach feet etc, just dont let anyone else force any movements on me. my other hip is ten months old and feels great. its absurd to think you can never squat, just my two cents

• Posted

Bridget it sounds like your doing great keep up the good work yes everyone is different I did good with my left hip but my Right hip was a different story it dislocated 3 time I. a row and I ended up having a revision done that hip all in the same year that is why I said I will have to watch my restrictions for life since the two hips were put in differently they have to graft my femur and put screws and wire to secure it

• Posted

hi,

Couple of thoughts on this. It might, just might, make a difference as to what approach they used (anterior, posterior etc) and the state of your muscles etc around the hip area at the time of the op.

I remember that last time my consultant told me at my 6 week stage that I could go past 90 but only be bending the knee outwards. Try to avoid bending and also twisting the knee across your midline.

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.