bending my knee to ride bike.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Its me again.   4 months post op two days ago, and STILL cannot go fully around on the bike.  I have done it, two months ago, cheating, I've done it in the past month, sorta cheating, but just came from gym an by God, try as I might, I could not go around.  I can do the elliptical, and the sit down elipitical, and not the damn bike.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I'm 10 weeks and managed for the first time 3 minutes. Secret apparently is having the seat high and your leg straight. I really felt as if I'm getting there at last. My flex is 110 so improving. You'll get there be patient we're all different

• Posted

Raise the seat....or lower the seat.  Either way, you will find the right seat position to do a full revolution.  Then do it backwards.
    • Posted

This is not likely to be possible in all cases. Particularly if you have very long legs like myself. You will need more than 90 degrees ROM and good hip extension as well. It is unachievable for many of us, especially if you had less than 90 deg ROM pre-op.

Don't get obsessed with it . There are plenty of other exercises you can do. There is stuff you have to accept that as an individual you may never do again. I doubt even Chico will be climbing Mount Everest any time soon.cheesygrin

• Posted

You are correct as many surgeries as I have had on my L knee I have great ROM. In fact its just as good as my R knee. Last time it was measure approx. 130ish?? However I cannot do a straight leg raise ( might be do to the last revision not aligned properly ?) nor can I fully straighten out my leg. Steps are another challenge. Hopefully after this next revision some things will get better as in pain and not having to go thru this every 2 to 3 years.
    • Posted

Very true.  My husband told me to quit obssessing about it too!  I agree.  thank you for your input...
  • Posted

Seat high, leg straight and start out going backwards slowly. Soon you can make the reverse to forward. Massage Vit E oil in with your thumbs about 1/2 hour before you start. You can also wrap the knee in flannel after using the oil
    • Posted

Thank you!!!!  What is inside the knee making it sooo tight, that I can't go all way around.  Was my prosthesis out in too tight???

• Posted

It's most likely scar tissue that needs to go! Start massaging it with Bio Oil, Vitamin E oil or Palmers oil. About 10 minutes at a time, at least 3 times a day!  Massage the scar and all around the knee cap. It won't feel great at first but keep at it. You can also move the kneed cap around, up, down and side to side. It needs to be able to move so the knee will bend properly, the knee cap is meant to move with the knee. I celebrated 3 years out from a TKR this past April and thought the first year after my TKR was horrible! Two steps forward, one back. This surgery takes time to recover from and nothing will change that. Everyone is different and will heal differently. Time and patience is what it takes. You will get through this!!!!

• Posted

Depending on the surgeons method, there can be internal stitches and these have a tendency to create more scar tissue and as we are all so different, scar tissue can be big culprit. For example, I am almost 3 years out from my last surgery, the 11th on that knee/leg. I have to work continually to tear the tissue loose. I've also had 30 rounds of radiation which burned the tissue badly.

One thing surgeons don't tell you ordinarily, the new knee owns you for a year and then, hopefully; you own it.

Just keep doing the exercises and massaging the knee with Vit E oil

• Posted

Or if your lucky like me it owns you for years and refuses to get better. Hopefully #6 is the lucky number it has to be June 18th is my surgery date this will make the 18th surgery on my L knee!! Better keep my mouth shut or something will go wrong.
  • Posted

Hi does anyone ride a real bike after knee replacement
    • Posted

I've known several people that bike ride, one guy has had Both knees done. Again, we are all different so there isn't an absolute with anything. Cycling is far superior to jogging or any kind of impact activity. Just make sure you start with flat terrain, no steep hills or rough roads.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.