Bending the body

Posted , 13 users are following.

Can anyone help me the the question, how to bend over to pick something up?  When PMR started I could not lift my legs or bend over. Now I can lift my legs to a degree but still having trouble bending over. Is there something to help this or a different way of bending? I hate having people pick things up for me when I should be able to myself.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jill,  

Before I started on prednisone I went through 2 months where I couldn’t pick up anything.   Besides that, I was very clumsy, which is not normal for me.   So was was dropping more than usual.   I started on 15 mg and was on that dose a few weeks which made me stronger and able to pick up things again.

I feel for you and hope you are better soon😀

• Posted

You didn't mention if the reason you're not bending over is because of pain or the actual act is physically impossible to do. It matters whether your body is not able to perform that function regardless of pain or if it is pain that stops you from bending over. If it is pain, which I am going to assume it is, then I can say that I completely appreciate your predicament. I have suffered from lower back pain for 13 years. And it has been painful for me to bend over the last few years. But in the last 2 months I have had 5 fractured vertebrae and now I never bend over. Partly because I'm in so much pain and also because I don't want any more vertebrae to fracture. It is extremely painful to have a vertebrae break. Get yourself a reaching stick to have around the house. My husband got me two, one for the kitchen and one to have around me in my regular hang out. (the sofa near my television)

• Posted

It actually is both. Even if the pain is not so bad, I am still unable to bend like I use to. Like the muscles can not  stretch enough. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.