benefits

Posted , 5 users are following.

can you claim any benefits with this condition sometimes I feel really debillitated with it just wondering

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fleetwood

The only benefit I am aware of is the free prescriptions that you can have as the tablets have to be taken for the rest of your life. Lola

• Posted

Hi, I have erad on Thyroid Uk that some people who find this very disabling have got Disability Living Allowance. I would advise you get help and advice from an organisation that has benefit workers if you think this might be appropriate for you, as the form is quite long and complex to fillout. Good luck if you try smile
  • Posted

I would be curious to find this out as I am really struggling to work due to my severe Lethargy, and emotional state I find my self falling asleep at work all the time also due to my joints weakening I fall over a lot. Even I f it was possible to claim untill I were ok that would be great but unfortunately I have to work to pay bills so I just suffer.

Pm me if you find out Angie x

• Posted

I think you will find it is very unlikely that thyroid problems will be recognised.

Partner is considering claiming DLA - but not because of thyroid disease as such. She cannot sit normally. So travel is very difficult, she cannot drive, nor can she travel by public transport. She can only travel with me because she sits in a very awkward way and knows I will pull over without any problems should she need me to. (Even getting to medical appointments is a nightmare.) Her ability to stand and walk also varies - sometimes she simply cannot stay upright but at other times she can walk quite well. But this utterly unpredictable and can change within a few minutes. Severe tinnitus and hyperacusis make phones and noisy environments very difficult - almost unbearable.

Her strength varies quite suddenly and she cannot safely cook.

The pain that she suffers almost all the time would be enough to make anyone think before employing her - if she could get to an interview. (And fear of causing further damage by not 'listening' to her body makes her very unwilling to take any pain killers.) And there is virtually nothing in the realm of home working of any sort that is possible without sitting.

So she simply cannot earn an income and really has no choice but to try claiming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.