Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been signed off work since Christmas but my work have terminated my employment from Monday as I am just not fit to work. I just want to know what benefits can I claim as obviously I need to live. I do have a partner but he's self employed so he's not guaranteed work but I am living at my mums while he's at work.


0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

  • Posted

    There is another sub forum called benefits and allowances. You may have better luck there, if no one can answer your question in this sub forum.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Lauren

    if you are in UK you will get esa benefit which is £250 fortnightly. Plus you can claim for housing benefit if your not a home owner.

    Hope this helps xx

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    You can get SSI and public aid just go to your nearest social security office and apply for SSI also go to your nearest public aid office and aply for public aid and food stamps 

    With me I get public aid, food stamps, SSDI from my dad since he died and medicare 

    Hope this helps

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi I presume you are in the UK?  if so apply for ESA.   If you have paid National Insurance contributions for the last 3 tax years or so you should be entitled to  ESA contribution based.   If you haven't then you would claim income based benefit.  Whether you got this would depend on other income coming into the household including savings and your partners earnings etc.  

    If you pay rent and/or council tax then apply for housing benefit and a council tax rebate.   Again this is income based though.   If your combined earnings are low enough you should get some help.   Another thing to look at is child tax credits if you have young children and maybe working tax credits.  Your partner would need to claim these though as he is the worker.  

    The rate for ESA is around £73.00 a week.  This is what you would receive until your assessment (usually 13 weeks after you start claiming).  If you are given ESA you would be out into either the work group if you are considered as capable of working s a few hours or the support group where you wouldn't be expected to look for work at all.   You might of course be refused ESA and have to sign on JSA.  You would need to be looking for full time work then.   ESA work group is around £95 a week and the support group is about £120 a week.  

    Look on the govt. website -  can't put the link in here but type in govt. site and it will come up.   x

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up