Benefits

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi my son and his girlfriend have just had a baby he is 7 days old. They were talking about registering him . She said that if they put his name on the birth certificate it would alter her benefits.

She is 21 and lives with her nan and is on benefits.

My son is 22 and lives with me and he works, he brings home £1000.00 a month.

would putting his name as the father on the birth certificate make any difference to her benefits????.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Congratulations. No, a name on a birth certificate doesn't mean 2 people are living together as a couple. The child maintenance he pays for his child is ignored when claiming means tested benefits.

• Posted

I also think his name should go on the birth certificate so the child always knows their heritage

• Posted

And I didn't say you did, I answered myself and stated what I believe to be right, my opinion which came up as only my name on it showing it wasn't a follow on answer

• Posted

Sorry Alexandria, as your reply followed on from mine i thought you were replying to me.

• Posted

if he is the father his name should be put on the birth certificate. They will still get Child Benefit.

I would not hide anything from DWP.

She will still get her benefits too.

Don't try and play the system. Do things right then they have no comeback on your family.

• Posted

Not having a child's name on birth certificate doesn't mean someone is trying to play the system. Child maintenance doesn't affect means tested benefits.

• Posted

I think it was the initial question that raised eyebrows about playing the system Denise.

• Posted

I just want them to be aware. My husband and I lived together when we had our first child. He was in a good job. But by a mistake I applied for the wrong benefit and the next thing they were at my door wanting to know everything.

I got everything sorted out in the end but it made me wary of the benefit system.

• Posted

Hi

I felt I had to answer you because it will make no difference if his name goes on the birth certificate.

The only thing that would change her benefits would be if they lived together as a couple. So they need to make sure that there is no cause for friends or neighbours to believe they are because people are very fond of reporting that to the dept.

The first benefit she needs to claim for the baby is child benefit, the number is easy to find on gov.uk.

All the best

Wendy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.