Benefits help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I've got my own house but have 3 family members who take turns looking after me as I need constant care they all have there own homes I'm wondering should I be entitled to severe disability premium I'm on esa and pip not on universal credit just wondering if im entitled to it any advice welcome

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted


    The criteria for SDP is as follows... Be claiming Income Related ESA.

    Have a daily living award of PIP, no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone, or be classed as living alone. If this is you then you need to ring ESA and either ask to fill out the IS10 over the phone, and it can be done this way. Or, ask them to send it to you in the post.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Complicated this one and i wouldn't want to give you the incorrect advice here. Do any of those carers claim carers allowance for looking after you and are they family or outside carers?

      Do you claim the single persons discount for council tax reduction?

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi no one claims carers allowance and it is my dad brother and sister who care for me and I'm exempt from paying council tax due to my mental health issues esa are clashing them as non resident carers

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Then as they are classed as non resident carers there should be no problems with you qualifying for the SDP.

      Please bare in mind though that i'm not a decision maker and i can only advise you to the best of my ability. My advice is usually very accurate and i would certainly not intentionally advise anyone if i thought that advice was incorrect. It will be down to a decision maker to decide whether or not to award you the SDP. If awarded, it can be backdated to the date you qualified, so you'll need to know that date to add in onto the form. If this is dating back years then you'll most likely need evidence that you qualified at that time.

      Ring ESA and ask them to send you the IS10 form. It's very easy to fill in, with just a few simple questions. Then add a letter stating that you have non resident carers that look after you over night, but have their own home.

      Good luck and hope my advice helps.

      Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up