Benefits of analdronic acid

Posted , 8 users are following.

**lots of heath warnings on sites but no indications of improved bone density why is that. **

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I take that,have done for years,but dont feel any benefit at all.

• Posted

Because it probably doesn't exist, except in the hype promoted by the pharmaceutical companies, who make billions from the sale of it. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2015 following a fall and a broken leg. My doctor told me that I should take alendronic acid. I refused because I had researched this and similar drugs and was not willing to risk damage to my body. I have friends who have taken the drug and have experienced side effects, including digestion problems and hair loss but who have not had any improvement in results from bone scans. The worst, but rare, side effect I have read about is possible damage to the jaw or osteonecrosis, which is bone death. Dentists are very wary when dealing with patients taking this. Poison is my word for it. We have to remember that osteoporosis is not a disease. It is usually a naturally occurring part of getting older. I am 73. Bisphosphonates like alendronic acid stop the natural formation of new bone replacing old bone, or osteoblasts replacing osteoclasts, as far as my research goes. Someone may be able to correct me. I am not a doctor. Alendronic acid can make bone denser but not stronger, which means that breaks can occur as the bone is made more brittle. I have decided to exercise more with weights. I have a personal trainer. I see him once per week and I do 3 sessions of weightlifting per week. I have recently had full body scans and Dexa scans. They have not shown levels of osteoporosis as was shown by the original Dexa scans 4 years ago. I am fitter than I have ever been and my balance is as near perfect as I can get it at my age. That's my story. It's up to everyone to make the choice for themselves.

• Posted

have you had a bone density scan? What is your T score? Mine is -3.3 which is bad so I don’t have much choice but to take the drug to stop it getting any worse. I hate being on it but the risk of not taking it is too great as I have already broken one hip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.