benefits of Methotrexate

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am hoping there are a few people on this Forum who could advise me as to begin taking Methotrexate, or not.

It was put to me to possibly try this method to be able to get me off Prednisone.

I remember reading about people on this Forum who are on it, or have in the past used it.

I did some research on Methotrexate and it sounds just as frightening as Prednisone, though it was explained to me you only take a weekly dose instead of daily.

I am thinking it might be better to stay with the Devil you know than the one you don't know.

I have been down to 2mg Pred. though could not stay this low for long, am now back up to 5mg, it has taken me over 3 years to reach these  levels.

thanking you,     Track

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

My Rheumatologist recommended that I take methotrexate....firstly she said it will help me reduce the prednisone without pains. 

I have not taken it yet as I'm not at all happy with taking two rather drastic medications at once. 

Also it takes about three months for methotrexate to kick in. 

Eileen has had a negative reaction to methotrexate and I really trust her judgement..

Which is the worse of the two evils, well after reading, I think methotrexate takes first prize. 

• Posted

I'm at 18mg after starting 25mg four months ago. 

• Posted

Thank you r.d.s for replying to my email,  I have taken on board yours and all others that have replied.

Decided to stay with Prednisone.

Track

• Posted

I don't know why doctors give patients the impression that methotrexate will get them off pred. There is no guarantee of that at all - it doesn't often replace pred althought it MAY allow you to manage on a lower dose of pred. Any doctor who is suggesting you take it when on 5mg is crackers IMHO - this is already a low physiological dose which is doing no harm at all. This is relatively new work about duration of PMR (median 5.9 years, not two) and the lack of the so-called pred effects - an age-matched population not on pred had them too!

https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/resources/news-and-research/polymyalgia-rheumatica-steroid-side-effects-new-findings

As much a limiting factor as anything now is your adrenal function which will have to return too. I also found a 2001 article about using long term low dose pred to manage RA - low dose, below 10mg, is afe and well tolerated. The concept is the same even if the disease isn't.

The study that many doctors take as "mtx works" done by an Italian group did a 5-year follow-up and found that while patients  had been able to take slightly less pred over a year, at 5 years their long term "pred side effects" were no different. So why bother????

You may only take mtx once a week - but believe me, the side effects can last all week! I took it this summer for 4 weeks - I was going to stop for a couple of weeks after that anyway to travel but I refused to start it again. I took it Sat night and Sun morning just in case I felt bad for the first couple of days as many people report. The first week wasn't too bad - no nausea so I thought, oh that's a good start then. But about mid-week I had a headache which lasted until Fri evening (I never have headaches). The one thing I noticed the first week was it felt as if the so-called pred side effects were increased: sweats were back, I was hungry all the time (again, never usually). And I felt as if I had diarrhoea, not bad but I was very unhappy being far from a toilet, and slight indigestion - I never have that! The second week those things were worse and I itched slightly all over, My hair was falling out in small tufts. I started to feel more tired than usual. I take an anticoagulant - I started to bruise more. I'm sure there were other things but they escape me just now! Over the following 2 weeks all this increased and the fatigue became overwhelming. After I stopped mtx it took about a week for that to improve - but I was able to travel to Seoul which I couldn't have the previous week. It is now about 6 weeks since I stopped taking it - my hair is not falling out as much - normal single hairs now, not in tufts of 10 hairs as it was. 

I have a PMR friend, involved in the charity, who was on mtx for a few years. She had no adverse effects at all but only managed to reduce her dose by a couple of mg to about 7mg I think. Last year she and her rheumy decided to try leflunomide - and in 8 months she did get off pred, she says she "felt it kick in". I have wondered a few times if she really had "PMR".  I think most doctors would say the leflunomide side effects are worse than mtx and my rheumy certainly didn't suggest it, as I'd had diarrhoea with mtx I think he thought leflunomide would be worse, it had been mentioned previously. 

I haven't time to say more just now - I will if you want me to.

• Posted

Thank you very much Eileen for your answer to my question, my question has been answered,I will be happy to stay as I am taking my Prednisone.

I found the New Findings you attached very interesting rePMR and steriod side effects.

Your wisdom is much appreciated on this Forum not only from myself but from many others, who you have helped along the way.

Take care,    

• Posted

I too have tried a few things over the years to try to lower or get off pred for my PMR….

Including...….

MTX  With Folic Acid....

Plaquenel…….

Salazopyrin……

But for me , they all made me as sick as a dog, with diffrent other side effects...….

Yet my brother in law just loves his MTX...… so there you go...………

The thing is, some of these meds may help you lower your pred, and you really dont know

how it will effect you till you try using it...…….it may suit you where it did not like me one little bit.

For me , it is pred ONLY.... 

• Posted

My sister-in-law loves her mtx too. Not for me, although it hasn't been offered to me... yet! I overheard a medical colleague who works with patients with inflammatory bowel disease say that he thought it was a dreadful drug and he'd never take it. Enough said!

• Posted

About 1 in 3 patients put onto mtx discontinue it because of unacceptable side effects - which I think is a pretty high rate.
    • Posted

Thank you BillyP for your answer.   

Taking all in what you and others have writen I will be better off staying with the Prednisone.

My Doctor was not pushing it, he said to think about it, it was up to me to make up my mind.

thanks once again,

T

• Posted

I am an opinion of one, so take what I have to say in that context. I would advise you to trust your instincts. I’ve been on this form for years now and they’re been numerous conversations about methotrexate. Often prescribed is antidote to prednisone and never works. Oh, I suppose a person here in there will say did help them, but it’s no panacea. It did nothing for me, and when doctor kept telling me he had to be checking my liver on a regular basis I shut it down cold turkey. At the end of the day there’s no free lunch.
    • Posted

Appreciate your email Daniel1143,

reading all comments on the subject I have decided to shut it down as well.

T

• Posted

One possibility for people whom mtx did help is that they had RA or some other ailment, perhaps along with PMR, and the mtx helped with that, so over all they felt better.  But it may not actually have been helping PMR per se.  
  • Posted

The current guideline by the NIH for GCA mentions that if there are several flare-ups when on pred only, someone has a 40% chance of beneficial effect of MTX. If MTX does not work one can try Actemra.

After my 3rd flare-up in May my rheumy and I decided to try MTX, because I had been taking over 19,000mg of cumulative pred by then. My rheumy expected that I would soon find out if there were negative side effects and also if I found benefits. I had low expectations, but to my surprise I was able to notice no side effects and after about a week I did start feeling better. Less fatigue, no pain in my hands, no headache, but most remarkably, very stable morning temperature. I have been recording my temp reading every morning at 6 AM, when I take my pred. If I'm doing well the temp is 36.6C. Before MTX, it would fluctuate between 36.6 and 37.2. The days with the slightly higher temp would coincide with more fatigue, sweat, pain in hands etc. Since my start on MTX in June I have had only one day with 36.7C, a couple of days with 36.5 and 36.4, for the rest every morning is a boring 36.6C. And I have not felt so good in the past two years. I have gone from 50mg pred in May to 20mg now. 

I realize that this does not prove anything, since the last two flares happened around 15mg pred. I still have to see what will happen when I get to those values again, but I feel a lot more robust. I hope that with MTX I will be able to get well below 10mg and then go very slow until cured of this nasty disease.

Also, maybe I would have felt better without the MTX as well. You never know for sure. 

But even without hard proof I think that the NIH guideline might be right and that indeed for 40% there are real benefits in this very low cost medication.

The only drawback of the MTX has been that I had to completely stop alcohol consumption. And I like my glass of wine with dinner and a beer when thirsty. To my surprise, I did find excellent non-alcoholic beer.

• Posted

My rheumy thinks it is worth trying because he has had good experiences with it - but he agrees with me that when it causes side effects it isn't worth it for the sake of a few mg. I do really well PMR-wise at 8mg, 7mg too, the problems that come at 7mg are due to increased atrial fibrillation. So on that basis I'm on a low risk dose of pred, albeit for a long time.

So my view for a couple of years now has been that it is worth trying - and if, like you, it doesn't cause problems then all good and well. My side effects the first week weren't too bad either and had they stayed the same maybe I'd still be taking it - but they didn't, they increased. 

By the way - the manufacturers data sheet says the occasional drink won't harm and up to 14 units a week is mentioned somewhere. Non-alcoholic beer has improved a lot in the last couple of years. Unfortunately the same doesn't apply to wine!!!!

• Posted

Hi Eileen, for me Actemra was not a clean choice either. I have had several infections and they could get much more serious with Actemra. Also, 40% chance of success is not great, but is an easy choice to try, especially if you can discontinue MTX at any moment if there are adverse effects.

I totally agree with you on the non-alcoholic wine. Almost undrinkable. I tried several different brands.

For me it was easier to go completely without alcohol. I tried the non-alcoholic wine, since I make my own wine. I wanted to see if it was worthwhile to get a small still and remove the alcohol from my own wine. Definitely not worth it. So I will leave my wine to age, which is normally difficult for me And the beer is great. Seems they are able to just remove the alcohol and a lot of calories and leave the taste! Good combination for me.

• Posted

In Germany they sell it as an electrolyte replenishment drink for athletes!!!!!
    • Posted

My favorite non-alcoholics are German beers. Clausthaler dry hopped is the best. And yes, since it is non-alcoholic it is easier to have one for lunch, or after mowing the grass, whatever the time of the day!
    • Posted

I think they really started the trend to alcohol-free beers - probably more enthusiasm on the part of the brewers because I don't think advertising of alcohol is allowed at sporting events. Alcohol-free is fine and enthusiastically advertised by sports stars!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.