Benepali

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new hear. I got diagnosed in May. Since then I've been on methotrexate and hydroxychloroquine, neither seemed to have worked. They keep giving me courses or prednisone which works a treat, but after coming off it all the pain and swelling comes back with a vengeance until I'm bed ridden.

I've got 20 days of prednisone left and just started Benepali injections yesterday. I wondered if anyone else has any experience and how quickly it took to work? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Smiley I too was diagnosed in May & put on both of the meds you are on. Keep having flares & then I'm back on the prednisone. The prednisone prevents my sleep. However I was told by my rheumatologist that each medicine will take at least 3 months minimum to start working. I have not been on the hydroxcloroquine for 3 months yet. I feel your pain. My rheumatologist refuses to give pain medicine so I have to stick it out until the prednisone kicks in which is at least 3 days. Hang in there my friend

• Posted

I had to look up Benepali and it is a bio similar of Enbrel. You are fortunate to get this as biologics often work when mxt or hydroxy don't . When they find something that works then you won't need the prednisolone. It s supposed to be a bridging drug to lower inflammation while they find which drug will hold back the disease. Others who use Enbrel will be able to tell you their experience.

• Posted

As rowbirdie says - this is a bio-similar to Enbrel which was only approved earlier this year and there won't be very many people on it as yet. Although the substance, etanercept, is the same as Enbrel, that doesn't mean it will provide the identical experience - there were some differences in the clinical trials it seems.

Good luck with it though.

• Posted

Thanks everyone.

It's a little daunting that it's so new. Fingers crossed it works. I don't know if it's my imagination or a coincidence, but I'm pretty sure the swelling in my knee has gone down since I started. Seems very quick 😬

• Posted

Hi Smiley16

My story is similar to yours. I was diagnosed with R.A. in 2013. I've been on a 'Raft' of different meds since then with little or no improvement and some nasty side effects too. So, today I have 'agreed' to try Benepali as this is the 'New ENBREL' which our N.H.S. is now bound to using as it's cheaper....and 'Does the same job'....(if it works for you)....or so I've been told.

I feel like I have little or no choice but to try this as my left hand is already quite badly affected by the degenerational effects of R.A. I have 'reservations' about using such a 'New Drug'...but I don't want my Right hand or the rest of me to deteriorate as my left hand has.

So here we go....Please post your experience of the drug...as has been said ...looks like we're 'Pioneers' of Benepali....and maybe sharing OUR experiences will help others in the future.

I wish you well and hope you get good results....but please DO SHARE..... I for one will be glad to know how effective this drug is....

I've beern told the effects can be felt as early as the following day of injection..to .up to 2 weeks in. I've also been told if no improvement after 3 months it will be stopped . I hope it works well for both of us...!! 

• Posted

Hi Smiley

?I too have tried Methotraxate, leflumonoide, prednisolone etc. and had to come off after severe side effects. I have now been on Benepali for 9 weeks and feel much better, noticed an improvenent after about 4 weeks so feel it's definately worth persevering. Have had a couple of flare ups but they are not as sevre as before and although my hands are still very swollen I can do a lot more than before so feel positive. It was quite daunting to inject myself at first - I had to go to the surgery for my cimzia injections as the needle was huge- but I take the 'pen' out of the fridge the night before and stab myself in the morning lying down, this works for me so far and I am hoping the effects continue. Good luck and stay positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.