Benepali and weight gain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, I was on lots of different meds including Methotraxate and Prednisolone for several years and gained a lot of weight. I had to come off everything because of side effects and was told the weight would go once I was off the steroids, well this turned out to be true and to my delight I managed to lose almost 3 stone. I have now been having Benepali injections for 8 months and whilst the pain is much less I still have fatigue and flare ups to cope with but I now notice the weight is gradually creeping back a few ounces each week.

​I feel discouraged in a 1 step forward, 2 steps back way and dread turning back into the bloated fatty I was before despite watching what I eat the whole time. Has anyone else experienced the same result after taking Benepali?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris, I have been on Benepali for about 10 months and have put on about 10llbs. I asked at Rheumatology if they had heard of weight gain, but they said they hadn't. I also have a steroid injection 2-3 times a year, so wondered if that was the cause. To be honest I used to do 2 1/2 hour walks a day, but unfortunately I am unable to do that since my feet are still painful, but with less swelling. I was blaming it on lack of exercise, I try to do a short walk daily as I feel better mentally and still do the daily chores. It would be interesting to see what everyone else says on the forum. I also have fatigue and flare ups, but the Benepali has helped. Hope this helps. Take care. 

• Posted

Hi Linda, Glad the Benepali is helping you, I guess all these meds come with side effects, some worse than others. Like you, I have trouble with my feet now and cannot walk 'Briskly' or for too long without having a sit down so that does not help with the weight gain and swimming is impossible as most pools are not warm enough and I just seize up so I guess it's a case of being thankful for small mercies like being able to drive now without my wrist splints and being able to brush my hair and clean my teeth without too much pain most days. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Chris, before treatment I ended up having to buy a wheelchair, as I just couldn't walk or put weight on my feet. I'm now walking with a bit of a limp, but walking. I used to swim twice a week, but found it to painful. I hadn't thought of the heat of the pool, must admit it wasn't very warm.  Iv realised that it helps if I concentrate on the positives of what I now can manage to do and try not to dwell on what I can't do, this depresses me more.  I also think a healthy diet of fresh fruit, veg, fish and chicken  makes me feel better.  I Try to avoid sugar, don't get me wrong, I love chocolate, but a treat now and again. I hope you go on okay Chris, good luck.

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I've been on Benepali for about 10 months. I struggle to keep my weight down anyway and stick to weight watchers, so am constantly keeping an eye on things. Before Benepali I was taking tramodol and that killed my appetite so I actually lost a lot of weight. Since being on Benepali I have gone back to my usual weight. 

I have been trying to exercise and get back to my previous fitness but like you the fatigue hits me sometimes and I just can't find the energy or I have a good day and overdo it and pay for it the next.

Like someone else said, I try and focus on the positives. I could barely get out of bed this time last year and I couldn't get down the stairs in my house as I was in so much agony. I can now ride my bike with my husband and daughter and it puts it's all in perspective.

Try to keep  your chin up. Exercise when and how you can. It will all help.

• Posted

Hi Smiley, Maybe we all expect too much from these meds, no one has invented a 'magic bullet' yet, I wish!

?but we are so much better off than folk even 10 years ago - I had a neighbour, no longer with us, who was absolutely crippled for many years and her hands were so misshapen that she could do virtually nothing for herself without the most unremitting pain it was dreadful to see.

?My husband says that it is more important that my pain is reduced than carrying a few extra pounds so, onwards and upwards. Good luck and keep well.

• Posted

Hi Chris, how wise your husband is. He is completely right, although difficult to sometimes think that when your  waistband feels a bit tight. Lol. My husband also says the same thing. Thank goodness medicines and treatment keep improving. 
  • Posted

Hi Chris, I've been on Benepali for about four months with weight gain.

• Posted

Hi Martin, Sorry to hear you are also affected with weight gain, but hope you are also experiencing less pain.

Good luck and keep well.

• Posted

Hi Chris,

I hadn’t thought about weight gain till I read your post, but I have been on Benepali for 10 months and have noticed I’ve put on a few pounds. However, I put it down to having my appetite back now that I feel so well compared with before. I certainly had a small appetite when I was suffering more pain, and to me it’s worth having to be a bit more careful with what I eat. I hope your weight settles. 

• Posted

I’ve been lucky to maintain my weight, but had been on steroids and gained 3 stone which I’ve lost now, 

I had a chat with a uk expert about weight gain with biologics, his response was quite interesting so thought I’d mention it here. Before you are on biologics you have high levels of inflammation and your body burns lots of calories trying to keep inflammation controlled. When your on biologics, inflammation levels fall, so you are no longer burning as many calories. If you cut back your calories by approx 200 calories a day, this will equate to the calories previously needed to deal with the inflammation. I have followed this and gained no weight. 

• Posted

That’s very interesting Maureen, thanks for the information, will bear it in mind.
  • Posted

My name is peter I just started benepali 50mg and I am getting a couple side effects feeling nausea quite a lot and sore stomach could anybody tell me what type of foods not to eat thanks my weight is still the same just now but will keep eye on it
  • Posted

Hi Chris I’ve been using benepali now for 5 months & I also still have to take methotrexate,, I’ve gained about 1 n half stone in this time but I’m quite active even with my Rhematoid, & I’ve tried diets that use to work but nothing seems to work anymore, is this normal do u think?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.