Benepali, cough, cold

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, anyone on biologicals? do you stop taking them if you get a cough or cold ?, I'm on Benepali got a cough and cold so I missed a week cough cold seemed to be improving after about a week or so, so I started Benepali again now cough cold has come back, any views, thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I can't really answer your question but I wanted to warn you about stopping a medication cold turkey without checking with your doctor first. There are a lot of medication out there that need to be tapered.

• Posted

Hi, I understand but Benepali can just be stopped with no problem as far as I know.
    • Posted

Yes, you're right. I was advised in the event of any infection, coughs, colds, sore throats to withhold the Benepali (and Humira when I was on that).  Your body is trying to fight the infection and the biologic is suppressing your immune system. 

• Posted

I am glad you were able to stop it without having to taper. I have made the mistake once of stopping a medication without talking to my doctor first, only to discover that it was a bad decision to make. And I have heard of people who has stopped a medication abruptly, such as prednisone which is a very dangerous drug to just stop. So I just wanted to make sure you were okay and I'm glad you are.

• Posted

Hi Amkoffee, you're certainly right about prednisolone. I'd just managed to get mine down to 5mgs after a year and my respiratory doc told me to put it back up to 20mgs! Here we go again. 

• Posted

Hi Martin, a fortnight ago I had a swollen throat and cough, didn’t feel right. I didn’t take my injection. I saw the Dr. She said I did the right thing. She thought I had a virus, but no infection.  Because your immune system is lower with the injections, it can’t fight a virus as well. The hospital also told me not to take injection if you have a virus or cold. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi Linda, I'll give my next Benepali injection a miss it's due this Saturday, my RA is not bothering me, my immune system must be concentrating on cough and cold.

• Posted

I was advised that you can miss a week and it shouldn’t effect your condition. More than that, then you need advice. My Dr told me to get checked out anytime I’m not well. Maybe a virus, but can turn easily into an infection.  Hope all our advice has helped Martin.
  • Posted

Hi Martin, yep, I am also on Benepali. I once tried to be clever and tried carrying on but ended up with an underlying chest infection for months. I usually find it's enough to stop just one dose and don't have much in the of joint pain but it is a nuisance. Because I've also had a lot of chest infections I also have some antibiotics as back up which I can start promptly then I always stop my Benepali. Why do mine always start on a Friday! Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol, I did miss one week and my cough and cold was improving but then I did the next injection and set if off again I think, so I'll miss this next one and hopefully I'll improve, thanks.

• Posted

Hi Martin

I am also on a biologic--Cimzia and twice I had a cold and stopped the drug so my body could try and fight the cold.  First I waited a week and 2nd time 10 days.   I was OK but I did start to have increased pain in ankle and fingers.   You can stop that medication without it being a concern but any signs of infection that seem more than a cold should be followed up with call to doctor.   Been on this medication 10 months and doing well with it.  I hope you also continue to do well on your biologic once the cold symptoms are resolved.      Gloria

• Posted

Thanks Gloria, I'll miss my next injection this Saturday and hope cough cold clears up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.