Benepali injection

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, have just injected as usual but found a large bubble of liquid on the surface of my stomach when I removed the pen. Has this happened to anyone else? I will ring the company later to ask them to check if the batch of pens is faulty but in the meantime wonder if I should inject again to make sure I have absorbed enough.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, did you keep the pressure on the device?, I always inject the Benepali in my thighs, I would have thought you can keep more pressure on the thighs, i've never injected in my stomach, from my experience you seem to have to keep the pressure on for about 20 seconds after second click, I myself wouldn't do a second injection, some may have gone in, even if it didn't go in missing one might make no difference there'll be a lag over from previous injections.

• Posted

Hi yes on my second injection I did in stomack and exactly the same. The pen did not click twice either. The company told me not to inject another so just feel a week behind. I think because pen is not at a true 90 degrees unless you Are lay down when I'm stomach I always do leg now and no problems since

Never tried stomach since. X

• Posted

Hi Chris, this happened to me once. I rang the manufacturer and was advised not to do another injection as some of it may have gone into my skin.  As Martin says, it only needs less pressure to cause it. I did mine for nearly a year in my thigh, found it painful. Now inject into my stomach and have found it a lot easier, plus no pain at all.  Whatever works for you. I was asked for the batch number of the injection so they could check if anyone else reported a problem.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks for everyones replies, I rang the company and they told me not to inject again before next week, asked me batch no. and said they would report it as a faulty pen and to let them know if it happened again.

​I have been injecting in my stomach for a year as I found the leg to be agonisingly painful and I bled a lot as well, so I would rather have small bruises on my stomach than that. I also always lay down when injecting and count to 20. Hope everyone keeps warm in this horrible weather, I am bundled up like a Michelin man!

• Posted

Totally agree I dread injecting funny some times it seems worse than others and some time I bruise and others not. I am afraid to inject in my stomach again as don't want to waste the injection. Desperate for it to work I have had 7 now 1 wasted would be 8. How long do you think it takes to really work please. Are you much better taking it . I'm still on hydroxchlorquine. 5mg steriod and the benpali I take naproxen too but find I don't need much recently. Any advise will be good. This cold doesn't help

. Pleased you have found something that works I bet your stomach is flatter than mine too lol x

• Posted

I am much better and can almost make a fist now Joy, like all these meds with me it took about 6 months to really feel the benefit and as I had to come off all steroids before I started taking it last January I was practically bedbound for a while. Have previously tried methotrexate which affected liver levels to a dangerous amount as well as some others which all had severe side effects. The only downside to Benepali is that I have gained almost 2 stone so that is depressing and I still get flare ups and today for example I have absolutely zero energy so am just taking things easy. Hope you feel the benefit, good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Chris, I have just read your message to Joy. I also think it takes time to feel any benefits. You weight gain interests me because I have also gained weight, a stone. I was blaming it on less exercise with my R.A  being in my feet, so unable to walk as much as I used to, plus a steroid injection every 3/12 although my Rheumy would prefer me not to have it. It does help though alongside the Benepali. Must admit the weight gain started when I started the injections. That’s interesting.
  • Posted

Glad you received advice Chris, fingers crossed next week will be fine. Yes you are right, it is freezing! 
  • Posted

Hi i have been on benapali for around 5 months im having issues with sores on my face and weight gain its really getting me down now is anyone else experiencing this?
  • Posted

No don’t inject again till next dose I get swelling around injection point sometimes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.