Benepali injections

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just started giving myself benepali injections and am finding these extremely painful.   I am not a wuss (honestly) as have been injecting mtx for around 6 months.  Benepali is the new version Embrel.  Just wondered if anyone else has had this experience with these injections.  The mtx goes through in 5 secs but the Benepali takes 15 secs to complete the injection and I am finding this really really hard to tolerate. thanks all.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes...

Before injection, ice the sight.

It is rhe liquid that causes the burning.

Ice afterwards will also help.

You are bot a wus...it hurts...big gentle hug

• Posted

I gave myself my first humira shot Friday.   I was so very anxious starting this drug with all the write up on the awful scary potential side effects that I cant say the shot bothered me.  However the area remains itchy, red, 

a hard lump felt still  and some pain.  It is slowly getting better but I think I should try the ice nice time.    My anxiety has decreased about the med and I just hope/ pray for the best outcome--all you can do -try and stay as positive as you can

• Posted

Ice...yes, the itching can be awful...just use the ice. Humira is new to your body, I found that the side effects went away after a few injections.

I am sending positive thoughts your way...big warm hug

• Posted

I've been using Benepali for about 10 weeks now. I have found that it hurts less in my stomach thank it does in my thighs. I've not done my arms yet as can't figure out the best way to do it!

I also find it hurts less when I am warm.

I make sure I have left it to get to room temp for about 30-40 mins and I either inject after a bath or I use a hot water bottle on the area first and I have definitely found it stings less.

I must say I haven't tried icing it like someone else said. I might give that a go too and see what hurts less.

Hang in there! It's worth it if it works.

• Posted

I have allowed the injection to warm up first, but not the warm bath....sounds like a good idea to me.

warm hug

• Posted

Brilliant.  I love this site. Two useful suggestions to try.  Like you will try both and see which is best. thanks for helping.
    • Posted

Thanks everyone who responded to my question.  Did shot this morning.  In stomach and well iced having left the jab to warm up for around 50 minutes.  First one that has not been agonising.  Brilliant!!!
    • Posted

That's great! My jab day is tomorrow, so will try the ice then. 👍

• Posted

Hi, my hospital prescribed amitop, applied it a hour before the injection and put the air tight pad on top, don't feel a thing as it numbs through the skin. . Hope you find what suits u best x

• Posted

yup, lidocaine...they give it to us in the infusion center when they need to access a port

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.