Benepali side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello fellow sufferers

I 've just started Benepali injections. After 2 doses I'm feeling 'light headed' as if I'm drunk and also have been getting 'Tension headaches nausea and low a do pain. Is this 'par for the course' ? Has anyone else suffered these symptoms and are they likely to improve if I continue with the drug. At the moment I feel 'torn' between suffering these consequences and stopping the drug and continuing to suffer the ravages of RA. Needless to say my mental state is suffering too so any advice/reassurance is very welcome. Thankyou for your help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catherine,

Everyone is different where drugs are concerned, but my body does not tolerate drugs very well at all.  I took Hydroxychloroquine for 6 weeks and it made me really ill.  With Methotrexate, I was very sick after only a few hours and thought it was a bug until I tried it again a couple of days later, so that was a no no.  My Rheumy wanted me to have Benepali, but I refused.  It worried me that if I did have side affects, they would last longer because it was in the system longer than tablets.  

I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise you soon.  Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Catherine, I am glad you have asked that about Benepali. I to get a bit light headed and spaced out. I take my injection on a Monday, Tuesday I feel so tired, plus hot sweats. Towards the end of the week, I feel really down. My husband noticed it and said it was a weekly regular pattern. Also get a bad headache at the end of the day that I inject myself.

I asked at the Hospital if it was common and told not really. So I therefore thought it must be me.

By Saturday I'm suddenly back to myself and full of energy and wanting to catch up on chores.

On the positive side, Benepali has really helped a lot with my R A. I was also told the Arthritis causes a lot of symptoms.

Maybe you need to talk to your Rheumatologist or nurse. They can put your mind at rest. I've been on it 6 months. Hope this helps. Take care.

• Posted

Hi I've been on benepali for about four weeks with absolute no side effects, I was a bit dubious when I read about side effects, but up to now it's okay, what to do in your case, I can't say, these effects your getting may lesson, I hope you get the problems sorted out.

• Posted

Hi Catherine! I've been on Enbrel (and recently Benepali) for a couple of years now. In terms of the RA symptoms, I feel like another person, it changed my life. However, the sinussy headaches, migraine, are really bad. At first I thought that they were hormonal, but then, after keeping a diary, it's clear a side effect of the weekly injections. The pressure in my eyes and sinus is awful, I can't function for a day or two. The nausea comes on second day of the headache. It's starting to affect my life (and looking after my 6 years old) , to the point that I am considering stopping. I almost feel like I can manage to get more done with the arthritis pain than with the migraines. BUT, like it was said above, people react differently to the drugs. Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Katherine I have just started on Benepali after over ten good years on Embrel. I seem really knocked about the day after injection, thick headed, nauseous and aching all over. Also my inflammation and pain greatly increased in general. Feel like I have been kicked in the kidneys. Getting bloods done and app. in a week at hospital. It seems like a cruder and less effective drug to me. Richard Fee
  • Posted

Hi all first time in this forum I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about 8 years ago gone through the whole range of drugs now on Benepali which I've been taking for just over a year. For the past few months now I've been suffering from unbearable headaches at least once a week to the point I have to take myself off to a dark place along with this abdominal pain I have noticed that these are in the side affects. Just wanted to know if anyone else suffers with this? If so what did you do....? Come off the drug? Look forward to your replays. Thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.