Benepali side effects,anyone else experienced these?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was on Embrel for several years and it was amazing, I felt the difference within 2 hours of the first injection, then last year I was changed to Benepali because of the cost and was told it would be no different. First there was the itching, mainly my face, neck and scalp, when I told the rhumatologist she said the skin gets drier as you get older but have always used a moisturiser, then I started to notice the pain is so much worse after injecting, gradually getting better each day ,puts me off doing the next one, I also seem to get a lot more headaches and wake up with a sore throat the day after injecting ,does anyone else experience these things? I would really like to go back to Embrel as it was the only drug I've had over the last 30 years that really suited me.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hope everything is going well for you.

Enbrel was prescribed for me over 12yrs ago, amazing stuff. Then a new Rhumo' came along and thought she knew better and took me off my Enbrel, BIG mistake!!!

To cut a very long story short, I ended up with in hospital with Sepsis that was caused by the infusion the Rhumo had me put on.

When, after a course of antibiotics, thank goodness I recovered and I told another Rhumo who took over from her, to put me back on my Enbrel.

In the meantime Enbrel had been modified and become Benepali and I thought what do I do if it doesn't suit me. Anyhow only two hours or so after my first injection I began to feel much more my old self, even better than before, steadily my joints are getting better too.

I've been very fortunate but it's a terrible thing when Medical Science are trying to find a way to help RA patient 's, even a cure, fingers and everything crossed. Med' sci' have come along way since forty years ago when I was diagnosed. The journey has been amazing, from me being prescribed tablets for Malaria in the early days,can you believe it, to infusions and weekly injections...........and what the future holds for us ????????

I can't wait ??

Wishing you well C.

• Posted

Hi Christine, sorry to hear you went through such a rough time, I think they just use us as guinea pigs sometimes and don't really have any concerns about how things affect us. About 2 weeks after stopping the Benepali all the symptoms cleared up, I also started sleeping so much better, I was so pleased they allowed me back on the Embrel, but after the first injection I picked up a virus that went to my chest, I was really ill and spent several days in bed, then a course of antibiotics, so I was unable to have the Embrel for 6 weeks, the strange thing was I was feeling better then than I had been for a very long time, back on the Embrel the joint pain returned but not all the side effects I was getting on the Benepali, I'm not sure where to go from here, whether it's worth trying going without them again, I'm waiting on my latest blood results but I don't go to the hospital again until October, I'll keep you posted, I'm glad the Benepali is suiting you, that's how I felt when I had my first Embrel injection years ago, I wish it worked like that this time, plus this never ending heatwave isn't helping, people used to say to me 'move somewhere hot, it's good for arthritis', it's certainly not suiting me, it would be interesting to know how others are coping with it. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.