Benign cells

Posted , 3 users are following.

i,ve been told I have benign cells in my oesphagus and will need regular monitoring has anyone else gone through or going through this and could they go back to normal my medication has been upped from 30mg to 60mg of lansopzole because of inflammation 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The short answer is that it depends. The official answer is, no, once the change has happened, it has happened. But there are various reports of reversals seen. 

- a study published in 2006 using niacin, Carafate, and PPI’s showed reversal in Barrett’s for most. 

- there are reports that using DGL + mastic gum in conjunction with the PPI has reversed it in some. 

- PPI usage has been associated with the development of squamous islands within the Barrett’s tissue. 

- a current study by DeMeester is testing whether surgery induces reversal. There some indications that it does, while other studies show that it doesn’t make a difference. (The surgical question is a wider one.) 

The best you can do now is explore imyour options and make sure you’re following all the appropriate actionable steps. 

- interview a few surgeons to see what they say about your situation 

- make sure you’re following a strict anti-reflux diet. 

- make sure you’re doing the right anti-reflux lifestyle changes. 

I’m sorry that I can’t give you a clearer answer.  

Best of luck 

• Posted

And to answer your first question, I have been told that. Mine is being contested, but boils down to goblet cells found with an irregular z-line, which means ultra-short Barrett’s. Some contend whether this actually leads to an increased risk of Esophageal cancer

Observation is the right course of action. 

• Posted

Thanks for replying I thought because the cells are benign they may go back to normal once the inflammation has gone down 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.