benign fasiculatory syndrome (bfs)

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've developed muscle twitches in my left forearm and hand tremors in my left hand. I've been to my doctor, an orth, then finally a neurologist.

The neuro gave me an egm and told me that I had bfs due to anxiety and stress. Told me not to worry about it, stop the coffee and calm down. He prescribed xanax.

After 4 months, it hasn't gotten better, but not really noticable worse. It is very annoying. Anyone else here suffer with this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes Chuck,  I have this and so do a lot of other people who suffer from stress and anxiety. I get it in my legs and sometimes my arms and even my sides.   It is not harmful, just very annoying. My therapist told me that when you're anxious your brain sends out signals for the fight or flight response ,   As if there is some impending danger. when there is actually no danger in the area such as someone breaking in your house, those signals have to go somewhere so they present themselves as symptoms  such as the muscle twitches, weakness, dizziness etc. 

I noticed when I am able to calm myself down such as after an appointment with a counselor, I get far fewer muscle twitches as well as other symptoms. It just shows you the power of the mind! 

• Posted

My twitches in the forearm are more like spasms. They are just about constant, and the muscle twitches actually make my hand and fingers tremor.  Spooky!
    • Posted

have you had a visit with your doctor?   I've had the spasm thing too, it's weird.   Your doctor might want to check your calcium level as well as other things. 

• Posted

I've been taking a CalMag supplement. My dr. says to trust the neuro. The EMG test has definite perimeters and my symptoms are caused by anxiety, too much coffee, etc.

My neuro also said this can take a long time to go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.