benign follicular nodules

Posted , 2 users are following.

Good afternoon,

I wanted to see if anyone has been diagnosed with benign follicular nodules. I have had several nodules on my thyroid ranging from 1.6 cm to 1.3 cm I have had several ultrasounds my last ultrasound came back as a Tirad of 5 on one and Tirad 4 On the other one. I had a core biopsy done a couple years ago it just showed benign Bethesda two and I just had a fine needle aspiration that showed benign Bethesda 2 consistent with the follicular nodules. I just wanted some feedback to see if anyone had thoughts on if I should go ahead and have that left side of my thyroid removed whether the surgeon wants to do it or not. Thank you in advance for any response or any help

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If you read some of the literature on this there has been a massive number of coincidental thyroid lumps in the past few years - try tapping into google scholar -"over diagnosis of thyroid cancer"

Thus, the epidemic of thyroid cancer is likely to be predominantly driven by overdiagnosis—ie, the diagnosis of cancer that would not go on to cause symptoms or death in a patient's lifetime. Overdiagnosis of thyroid cancer has been estimated to account for up to 60–90% of the diagnosed cases in several countries.

Suggest you stop having tests

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.