Benign or Malignant on Pancreas?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I’m 27M and pretty anxious about what I’ve experienced earlier. Due to a slight upper abdominal pain, I went to visit my GP and had several blood testsand MRI with contrast done. My CA19-9, CEA and pancreatic enzymes all came out normal.

CA19-9: 2.3

CEA: 1.96

But the MRI with contrast result came out saying it detected a non-enhancing lesion seen on my pancreas tail, around 0.8cm. Suggested IPMN, or other pancreatic neoplasm.

Than I went to visit 2 hepatobiliary surgery doctor, both suggest me to do a PET-CT scan. 2 days later my PET-Ct report came out:

A pancreatic tail 8mm hypodense lesion shows homogeneous fat density and sharp border without F-FDG avidity on both early and delayed imaging, metabolic assessment indicates a benign pancreatic lesion such as pancreatic lipoma. And my doctor told me it is benign and just need a followed up annually with MRI.

It actually makes me feel better, but I just don’t understand why the result from MRI with contrast are so different than my PET-CT scan.

Pretty lost now on what should I do next, since pancreatic cancer is pretty fatal, I’m so afraid that it might turn into cancer later on which I’m not able to control it.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi colman26326,

Just wondering what is going on with your testing and how you are feeling. The unknown is terrifying.

My husband had a ct scan of abdomen and pelvis with a contrast dye. He feels fine and looks healthy, he's 57 and in good shape.

This test showed a 4 mm mild prominence of the main duct in the body and a slight soft tissue thickening surrounding the celiac artery. No discretely measurable pancreatic mass. However, appearances are suspicious for a pancreatic mass.

(spleen ok- biliary duct ok - liver, kidneys/ureters had scarring on the right kidney with a 1.3 simple let lower pole cyst - lymph node ok - pelvic organs/bladder no masses - bones/sofe tissues no destructive osseous lesions.

His next text is an EGD EUS next Thursday, February 2, 2023, and needless to say we are scared it is the awful, horrible pancreatic C.

Let's pray that you and my husband will be ok. Keep us posted on your progress, I know I will.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.