Benign positional vertigo

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi..I've been a sufferer for many years & was wondering if there were any support groups out there? I've had treatment for the vertigo but it has come back again after 2 years. Are there any other people who suffer from this nasty "dizzy" thing?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andrea

I've had about x 3 bouts of this, but thankfully it clears up quite quickly - usually within two weeks. But, it's a nasty feeling when you go all nauseous and spinny in bed at night. I don't think I am needing a support group, but happy to answer any questions I can. All the best, Roseann

• Posted

Hi Andrea yes it is the pits having this,I've had it for 3 years straight,sat here now with it got it every day no let up.mine is caused through tinnitus,ringing in the ears.Ive tried most things tabs seasickness bands etc not come up with anything to get shot of it once and for all .I know a lot of people with it since I've got it.Theres no known groups I've ever heard of but I could be wrong,There's a good booklet I have called Spine and Brain it explains a lot and it will give you exercises to do.A friend of mine put me on to it as she has same problem it's a free booklet Really good to read well recommend you getting it . Best wishes x
  • Posted

Hi Marlene and Roseann,

Sorry to hear of your experiences..it is a nasty condition as I remember the first time it happened to me back in 1996. I've had the Epley manoeuvre done 2 years ago at hospital. It's nice to know there are fellow sufferers out there who can sympathise with what I'm going through smile x

• Posted

Andrea, Hi, i[ve also had same for nearly 4 yeas and nothing's worked! Go to VEDA facebook page, they have loads of good info and you can get support there too. (It's in the U,S unfortunately, but you can learn a lot from other people on there as well as VEDA themselves)
  • Posted

The Veda is a good site Gillian put me on to that site, found it interesting.have a browse.With me it's more when upright like I'm on a boat,and when I look up and down.Like a lot of ailments you have to experience it to know what it's like messes up your days big time hey.Think it's one that don't show up on any scan out there to my knowledge.all there is is audiology hearing test. Which everyone of us has had,me I've had 3 to date.I do tend to get bad neck aches .x
  • Posted

I have found this forum to be a great place for support. It's surprising how many people know what it's like to deal with vertigo day in and day out. Sad actually, but comforting to know your not the only one. Thanks for sharing the facebook page gillian. I had never heard of VEDA before. I know how difficult dealing with veritgo can be every day but a few months ago I came across a pillow that helps people who suffer from benign positional vertigo. It has been very helpful. It's made by simbalance. It's sold in the US and the UK.  
  • Posted

Hi, I have only just read your email so am a bit late in responding.  I have had this condition for about 10 years now, my consultant said it was caused by calcium deposits in the inner ear.  How he explained it to me was that when we move our head the deposits move and then return back to where they normally lie,in my case they linger in the fluid, so my brain, ears and eyes all have a mixed message.  I go dizzy when I lay on my left side, which is the effected ear and on my back, I go dizzy for a few minutes and then it settles.  I struggle when at the dentist, as I can't lay down as low as they would like you to go and i can't put my head back in a back wash  at the hairdressers.  Also lifting something from a high shelf can trigger the attacks  recently I had to have a full body scan for a different complaint and I could not get the radiographer to understand that I could not lay flat on my back, I really had to persevere and in the end she scanned me lying on my side.  Medical staff seem very ignorant of this condition which I find really upsetting.  I have had the Epley movement 3 times and it has never worked for me in fact the last one triggered a really nasty attack that lasted for over a week.  I have tried numerous tablets that the doctor has prescribed, but can only take them when I have an attack which lasts longer then a couple of hours.  In the early days I had attacks which lasted days, but usually they vary.  In my case I have found it better to avoid anything that triggers the attacks and just get on with things.  Hope you find my story interesting.

• Posted

hello Eileen, well your sounds slightly different from mine, and Marlene's and Dizzy's as ours is a constant thing and just gets worse (which is hard to define as the starting point isn't that great!) when we are tired, or different things.  Whereas yours seem to be attacks as such.  Your consultant isn't wrng, as there is a  problem for some with calium depostis/crystals or whatever.  If you pm me with your e- address i will forward you this realy i interesting video, as mentioned in my previous posts with Marlene andDizzy.  t is very helpful in explaining how this condition affects us all. 
    • Posted

Gillian's Veda video is excellent ,the detail to the lady's description to this condition is spot on,the crystals you mention is and can be correct,but the truth being one can't be 100 percent sure.no medical person can  for definate say what it is causing this imbalance in one.Look at the post Gillian and Dizzy wrote on site they gave it more accurate take a look see what you think .its a hard condition to live with that's for sure ,do get Gillian's offer of that video eye opener to was to me Eileen best wishes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.