benzo withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on xanax for six months 1 mg for sleep it stopped working I don't want to increase my  dose if I decrease it to .05 mg I get withdrawal. I checked out the Ashton method but it is for those on high doses throughout  the day.I asked my doctor for an equivalent dose of diazapam. I tried it last night 10 mg felt ok this a.m. but at the 12 hour mark started feeling heavy headed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? Doctors are great to give you this but are clueless as to how to get you off.Help please!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

HI Carol, 

You might want to log on over at BenzoBuddies where you can get very experienced guidance.  SurvivingAntidepressants also has a benzo forum, moderated by very experienced foks.

To my knowledge, the 10% taper method is for all psych meds no matter the dosage.  The nervous system became dependant, with actual remodeling to take the action of the drug into account, so tapering must be slow enough to allow the brain to make gradual adjustments which lead to minimal withdrawal effects.  Bigger cuts mean bigger waves of instability while the nervous system tries to respond to he abscense of the drug.  Doesn't matter from what dose you are coming down from.

• Posted

Hello Carol

try halving the dose of diazepam and see how that makes you feel, if it is a 10mg tablet cut it half with a sharp knife, if that is to small a dose increase it to 3/4 again by halving the tablet and them halving again into 1/4s.

I did this to get off benzo's a couple of yeras back.

Hope you feel well soon, take care of yourself

jessie x

• Posted

Thank you Jessie I plan to do that.I have been taking xanax in .05 dose for sleep as needed and never had withdrawal if I missed aday or two I got off it once but was put back on it .I went to 1 mg because  the lower dose gave me withdrawal later in the day.I researched the Ashton method went to the dr and explained it to her,she was clueless and suggested klonapin.But I insisted on diazpam in a comparable dose.I took it last night ,20mg and slept, got up with no hangover at the 12 hr mark I started to get that feeling that my head was pumped full of air but it went away I plan on 5 to 7 days on twenty and the reduce slowly in very small amounts.does this sound reasonable? Thank you again for responding
    • Posted

Hello Carol,

sounds like you have it sorted,  so long as you go slow with the reduction in dose you should not have problems,  and of course you have not been taking it for a long time.  Time seems to be the biggest factor both ways.  I hope your head clears soon, that will make you feel better about it.     Hope your sleeping is good,  is amazing how much better we all feel when we have had a good nights sleep.

You take care of yourself,  

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Hi carol.i was able to come off oxazepam easily with the help of my GP.She replaced it with diazepam and to get the odd doses I had a compounding chemist make up liquid diazepam. All so easy.it only took a month.
  • Posted

Hi Carol,

I, too am trying to stop xanax completely. First thing I found was I could not quit cold turkey. Using xanax was a big mistake. I am still having to take 3/4 mg. I plan to try to go with 1/2 tomorrow.

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are having such a tough time, Edna and Carol.
    • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement, Carol. I am convinced that we have to use our common sense. Doctors seem not to understand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.