benzodiazepine tolerance reset

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear Community,

I have been taking 4 mg Xanax and now i have switched to klonopin (Rivotril) to try to taper off.

How much time it takes to lower the tolerance to feel the same effect ? In the past 0,5 mg made me calm and 1 mg kicked me off. Now i can hardly feel anything with 4 mg.

So how long does it takes to reset the tolerance?

Thanks,

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I couldn not imagine taking klonopin to taper off xanax.

That is opening up a huge can of worms for you.

I took klonopin and that was a complete nightmare.

Weaning off took 9 months, and protracted withdrawl for 18 months

It was the worst time in my life.

Was this a doctors recommendation ?

• Posted

My doctor switched me to klonapin (clonazepam) as my anxiety was outrageous while I was starting zoloft. I tapered off zoloft within 16 days as it gave me horrible akathesia. Now starting lexapro (day 8 on 5mg). Morning anxiety is my worst time of day. Would xanax be better for me to take in am and then power through the rest of the day rather than taking the 0.25mg of clonazepam morning and night? Would it be easier for me to eventually get off of it when my lexapro takes full effect? I'm literally counting the days...this is one of the hardest times of my life.

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

So sorry for the late reply. Im not on this thread very often.

How are you doing now?

I really can not tell you which would be best. All I know is that Klonopin was a nightmare.

I completely understand the morning anxiety . |And I truly understand how you are feeling.

Please keep me posted . Just remember this all will get better. Time and patience are your friend.

Are you in the UK?

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.