Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is there anybody who has ever received any help in the UK for discontinuation of long term benzo use (40 years in my case). I am suffering a long protracted recovery from the damage caused by these drugs.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

are you off them?? ive tapered zopiclone and now mirtazapine nearly. stopping zop has caused issues with digestion and im stilk on 0.5 clonaz. i do know reducing abaove i burn all inside on eating all inflammed. i dont know whats done it. i try clonaz and no sleep on own. sorry its awful and yes no gp or phychs have a clue. there is the fb group

• Posted

Hi, Yes, I have been on Diazepam for 30 years and like you finding it problematic to get off these Hellish drugs that have caused dependency. Don't despair as you too can get off Diazepam or at least reduce them to a more tolerable level. I tried tapering by 1 -2 mg off per week but I became extremely agitated and depressed. You may find it easier to reduce by approximately 0.5 mg and reduce again when your withdrawal symptoms ease. I base my tapering on the Ashton Method of reducing 1-2 mg every 2 weeks but I became frustrated with the withdrawal affects. So, I use a Self-help App to monitor my average coping levels on a daily basis and reduce when I feel better. Please don't give up! You will have good days and tougher days if you reduce gradually. Good Luck!

This is my personal experience as a Psychotherapist. Please talk to your doctor before tapering.

• Posted

High dosages cause damages. Its best to take lower dosages more often, and then gradually decrease over time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.