Best antidepressants for anxiety??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys,

I'm currently taking Citalopram, but it gives me terrible acid reflux and tinnitus.

My GP suggested trying an alternative, but what really helps anxiety. She mentioned Paroxetine?

I'm reluctant to mess about with my meds I'm just about to move house and I know how difficult it is to come off them.

Any advise would be much appreciated. X

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Meds are typically only used short term until the reason for the anxiety passes, or the root cause is resolved. They are only meant to be used as a helping hand,using them without some other treatment like therapy generally won't have the beat outcome
    • Posted

My anxiety came out of the blue. I'm seeing a counsellor and on the waiting list for CBT.
  • Posted

Mirtazepine works for me. Can b a bit sedative at first but levels out. U only need 30mg I've had hardly any side effects.there's always trazadone that has a dulling side effect which helps anxiety. Really it should be your GP suggesting what will help and GP should monitor and prescribe. We are all different so some meds act differently.

Tazjosie

• Posted

I wish there was an answer but it depends on your brain chemisty. Reasons for anxiety and how your body takes to a med. I'm on sertraline and iv n9 idea if I'm coming or going and my anxiety is very bad after my baby's birth. I'm anxious about been anxious though so it's always been fed by my thoughts. I'm up to 125mg. I'm thinking of trying mirtaz
  • Posted

Any anti depressant takes months to kick in and I have never found a effective one and to alters your mind I would suggest looking at a non medication route anxiety is adrenalin and you can use techniques to burn it out.
    • Posted

My anxiety comes on when people are close to me or in my house or out for dinner ect. I feel edgy then I become all dizzy and disconnected to my surroundings. It all becomes a bit of a haze. It just happens and I don't know why!!!
  • Posted

I've used venlefaxine (Effexor) in the past which is great for both anxiety and depression. I was on it for years and it always helped. 

You have to try a few combinations at first until you find the one for you. Don't despair you will get there! 

N

• Posted

HI,MIRTAZIPINE IS GOOD FOR ME.AS REGARDS CHANGING WE (AS IN ME + DOC) DECIDED TO CHANGE MY MEDS AS I WAS NOT WHERE I SHOLD HAVE BEEN BUT REALLY WAS OK-BAD MOVE !.I SHLD HAVE LEFT WELL ALONE SO NOW GOING BACK TO WHAT I WAS ON.EVER HEARD OF THE GRASS IS GREENER?
    • Posted

I did the same with my citalopram came off them to try amitriptyline, lasted a week felt terrible. Went back on the citalopram and they haven't worked as well so far it's been 3 months. I just can't stand the acid reflux and tinnitus, but maybe it's worth it in the end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.