best antihistamine to treat insect bites

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am gong to Brazil in 2 weeks and the only cloud on the horizon is I have a problem with insect bites, I almost always have a bad reaction in that they swell up badly and always become infected. Last year in Santorini (Greece) i ended up in hospital on a courtesaun drip and given antibiotics and an antihitamine called Xyzal 5mg. I am a diabetic and the drip meant I had to be very careful whislt my bloodsugars were high, I have asked my GP for a course of antibiotics and hydracoutesaun cream to take with me so I can self medicate if badly bitten, I found the xyzal works much better than piriton, can I buy the equivalent of Xyzal here and if I start taking them before I go will it make a differnce if im bitten? i have bought maximum strength jungle formual to ward the mozzies off but Im still paranoid about a bite spoiling my holiday of a lifetime.

Any advice and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lindacoral,

The Jungle Formula should hopefully help to keep the mosquitos away because of the high DEET content, you could also try taking Vitamin B1 or Thiamin supplements, as when this gets into the body it is released through the skin and helps to ward of insects in a natural way. You can also buy it in patches which you stick onto your skin and these can last up to a whole day, and may be more effective than taking it internally.

In the unfortunate event of you getting bitten, a good antihistamine cream is anthisan, which can be applied directly onto the bite to stop the itching. Hydrocortisone cream can be used in the same way, but should be used with caution and for short-term only.

With regards to Xyzal, the active ingredient is levocetirizine 5mg. The closest you can buy over the counter would Cetirizine 10mg, or brand name Zirtec, although it is not normally recommended that you use both the tablets and topical antihistamines together.

- Mistrys Pharmacy

• Posted

Thank you ever so much, tomorrow I will get some vitamin B and anthisan cream! I will ask for Zirtec or certirizine and start taking it now, my GP wouldnt give me antibiotics, he said go see a doctor out there if im bit and claim on my travel insurance!!! Im angry at his attitude, it was the avoidance of being hospitalised not the cost of the antibiotics!!! I appreciate you giving me advice, thank you smile
    • Posted

You're welcome, and good luck, enjoy your holiday! cheesygrin
    • Posted

what on earth made you ask for anti biotics? they are for bacterial infections. not to treat insect bites
  • Posted

In past found homeopathic tablets to be excellent but realised last week can relate to cellulitus & lymphoedema  !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.