Best Aortic surgeon near san francisco. Tired of different opinions

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello All,

I am 31/M. My aortic valve was replaced with mechanical valve 8 years back in India. Currently i live near san Francisco bay area and has been diagnosed with Ascending Aorta Aneurysm of 5.2cm and has been asked for re surgery. Too much in depression for such second surgery at such a young age.

I have met Dr Craig Miller from Stanford Hospital.He has good reputation but currently he is 73yrs of age and i found him little slow and shaky and am not able to persuade myself if he is the right surgeon for me for my second surgery.

His opinion is that my mechnical valve is working fine and he prefers to replace aortic root and asc aorta only

I went to Cleveland Clinic and met Dr Svensson who is of opinion that he only do composite grafts. Since i dont have original valve so he prefers to replace my working mechnical valve also. I argued with him also but he says he only do mechnical graft.

I checked with multiple surgeons back in India also and everyone said that if mechanical valve is working fine so i should better leave it as it is. Few other cardiologists is of opinion that replacing the valve unnecessarily can increase the risk of electrical mechanism broken and can lead to pace maker.

I am alone here and too much broke with unable to make a decision.  Do we have any other better surgeon for aorta surgery in san francisco bay area?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.