best bowel clearing prep for colonoscopy??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I'm going to have a colonoscopy soon & when i had one before i had moviprep to clear my bowels & it was dreadful-worse than the actual colonoscopy. spent hours on the toilet with terrible explosive diarrea 30 times plus...left me very sore before the colonoscopy had even started, & it was nauseating to drink.

I just wondered if any of you have had a different prep med before colonoscopy that was gentler than my experience with moviprep & less to drink (moviprep is about 1 litre once mixed with water).

Thankyou in advance for any help. x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hello there I just had a colonoscopy 2 months ago and you are right the prep is horrible I could not drink it so my GI suggested I use Miralax mixed with like Gatorade or powerede except no red or green the only downside is you will have to drink like a 14 day supply so what I did was I bought a 14 day supply of Miralax and I bought 4 bottles of powerade and I got through 2 of Them and the next morning it happened about 7am and non stop from there right up until my colonoscopy yall about getting cleaned out that will sure do it and not bad at all. maybe give that a shot in my opinion way better.

• Posted

The firs time I had one done 15/20 years ago I called the doctor because I was having trouble drinking the crap. I can't remember what kind of pills I took but they were little tiny laxatives. He told me to take 5 when I got them, and two hours later take 4 more. I got there the next day and everything was fine. It did make me sit on the toilet for hours on end, I don't think there is anyway around that.

• Posted

Im asking at the hospital on weds if there is anything easier to take as im having this done again on 1/11/18 .

its bad enough without that nasty drink

I'll message weds to let you know if there is anything more easier

• Posted

I had one done a few weeks ago.

My top tips for the prep is to drink plenty of extra water with the Moviprep (it reccommends an additional 500ml, but i drank about 2 additional litres per serving). I found this helped it clear through much easier without any pain.

Apart from that I reccommend just watching tv or something entertaining whilst sat on the loo to take your mind off it. I found that worked pretty well and helped the time go faster.

• Posted

Thankyou to all of you that have kindly responded to me. Linda I'd be interested to see what they suggest to you. I've spoken to the ibd nurse & the other prep they offer is picolax so she's going to let me use that one this time. I've had several colonoscopies over the years past & each time moviprep has been dreadful to drink & effects, so i hope picolax may at least be better to drink (not nauseating) & perhaps a little gentler on my already painful bowels!!!

xxx

• Posted

THEYVE MENTIONED PICOLAX BUT THEY ALSO SUGGESTED THAT I COULD HAVE A ENEMA ON The DAY IF I CANT TOLERATE ANY OF THE NASTY DRINKS.

the amount of moviprep is ridiculous and its so nasty to drink and keep it down!!

hope it all goes well for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.