Best drug for motion sickness?

Posted , 8 users are following.

ive tried meclizine but it didn't work during a 4hour flight. What helps? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Cocculus homeopathic remedy. take 2 , 20 mins at least before travelling and  1 totop up as needed everybfewnhours.  No mint toothpaste or sweets as mint affects efficacy of Homeopathics.  works for me.  also flat coca cola (not diet) is a good standby.
  • Posted

Ask your pharmacy for avomine they are good for motion sickness
  • Posted

You could try promethazine, when I get super super sick to my stomach that works but it is prescription so I don't know how easy it would be to get it.
  • Posted

Hi Matt, Ben here, I live in Michigan.

Meclizine, an antihistamine, which is what most of the other motion sickness drugs are, did nothing for me, and neither did Valium, a depressant, but I have had friends and relations that got sea-sick, air-sick, roller coaster sick and car-sick, and they have told me, and I have seen them, do better with some medication of some sort.

Since you are on a forum for dizzyness and vertigo, I wonder what your symptoms are or diagnosis is, because the different medications can cause more problems if they conflict with your condition.   My doctors all told me not to take any medication for the effects of vertigo unless I absolutely had to, because they inhibit the rehabilitation process.  But if you simply have the usual nausea, a feeling of uneasiness and/or dizziness, and  you came here just to find out what there is to relieve those symptoms, read on.

Many motion sickness medications are available where I live. They range from antihistamines to anxiety meds. Also Google the "wrist band" or "motion sickness bracelet'' that the cruise lines offer for sea-sick passengers. From Antihistamines to Tranquilizers to habituation, there are medications and exercises to reduce the sensations caused by moving in unnatural ways.

Antihistamines work by blocking signals from the Vestibular region, but they usually dry you out pretty good.  They are not good to take if you have certain middle ear problems like Meniere's disease.  You will make many trips to the lavatory while taking them and need to drink a lot of water.

Then there are Tranquilizers, like,  barbiturates, sleeping pills and other depressants.  they work by lowering your anxiety levels associated with any movement. Some actually lower the blood available to areas of the brain where feelings originate.

There is a non antihistamine "patch" that you stick to your head near your ear and I have heard that they are very effective if you apply them early enough. Patches work differently than antihistamines.  I have heard that the patch is so strong that smaller women cut the patch in half to reduce the effects.

Other than that, perhaps habituation to the effects of motion sickness might be a good idea. Google: "exercises for reducing motion sickness" and try doing them, or if you can, seek a therapist to show you how to do them.

Hope this helps.

Ben 

• Posted

I have balance problems caused by my anxiety problems. Tens muscles in my neck and eyes are causing this foggy and unstable dizziness and when I go on a plane trip it gets even worse and I get sick. I have eaten a lot of meclizine before due to this problem even when I'm not riding any vehicle but now they don't seem to help me anymore. I am currently in Turkey on vacation and I'm goin home this Saturday, my anxiety for the plane ride has now kicked in. 
  • Posted

Hi,

I returned from a two week trip to Bali last Saturday. The flights in total were 22 hours although we did have two short changes. I took Cinnarizine two hours before the first flight and again after each 8 hours. I also had Buccastem as an emergency backup to help with nausea. The flights were fine. I also used noised reducing headphones to help with my hyperacusis, and I think they also helped with the vertigo too, and enabled me to get some sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.