Best endoscopy experience!!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a upper GI endoscopy last week.

I think it's VERY important to start this by saying, I had cancelled this procedure over 10 times. My doctor has been trying to push me to get an endoscopy for 3 YEARS. I was TERRIFIED. I have a very severe phobia of vomiting, so the idea of gagging for me was a huge no go. I cried for weeks and weeks at the idea of it. When I finally got too unwell, I agreed to try the endoscopy as I physically had no other choice. On the day, I think I cried for 8 hours straight during the night and this did not stop when I got there.

When I arrived, they confirmed I wanted throat spray and sedation. (The doctor I knew was actually doing the procedure so had already prior warned everyone). They then took me into a room to put the cannula in. This was not painful at all and was over in two seconds. I then sat and spoke to a lovely nurse for half an hour (she helped in calming me down a lot), then they took me into the room. Which just spiked anxieties even more. And then I started to seriously panic. However, the two nurses who were in the room were so reassuring. One held my hand and told me he was more scared than me when he had his done last week, and he kept holding my hand throughout. They asked me to open my mouth and hold my breathe. They then sprayed in the throat spray, this was no where near as bad as everyone described! It tasted like the horrid banana medicine I got as a kid, which was fine. And I could still feel myself swallowing! Strange feeling, but not scary. They then put the mouth guard in and told me to lie on my side. The nurse was still holding my hand as I was still hyperventilating. The doctor told me I would drift off very quickly as she put the sedative in.....

Next thing I know, I am sat up drinking a glass of water in a cosy bed in the recovery room. Fifteen minutes later, they told me my results and then I had some toast and a cup of tea and off I went. No throat pain, no nausea and slight chest pain but nothing unbearable.

I read SO many horrible reviews beforehand and terrified myself. But I was probably the biggest woos ever and I would go and get it done again tomorrow if I had too! Just make sure you have enough sedation if you are as scared as me. And don't read lots of bad reviews online!!! There are good ones too.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Thank you flower for your positive post.

I had 2 gastroscopies 1 with sedation and 1 without and 100% agree sedation is the way forward with this procedure.

Well done for facing your fear and overcoming it.

Peace 🙏

• Posted

Hi

sounds like your experience was similar to mine and I'm glad I went through with the procedure. The Endoscopologist was brilliant as were all the staff. I was given me feedback and guidance there and then along with being put on the right treatment. Other than being a bit croaky the next day, no issues.

I'm due back for a follow-up in a few weeks and knowing what to expect I'm not feeling any concerns.

Sharing better experiences may help others to agree to the procedure.

Regards and blessings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.