Best foods for Hypothyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

i have been suffering from Hypothyroidism and just wondering what sort of food is best for people like me. i would like to know what kind of food has helped people like me.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

morning tim. I  also have a under active thyroid + gut problems. I have found the best diet for me is gluten free. might be of interest to you. if  you key gluten free in the search box it might give you some hints on diet. good luck. Dave.
  • Posted

My sister was experiencing this problem last year. She didn't go gluten free but she did cut out foods high in grease as those seemed to aggrivate the situation. Her doctor also put her on vitamins to avoid teeth/hair problems stemming from this but I cannot recall what the name of them was. She drastically improved in three months which was amazing as she had some scares before being diagnosed. After a year she had shown enough improvement to no longer be in danger.
  • Posted

Hi Tim, with hypothyroidism it is more what you should cut out. For some unknown reason brassicas should be excluded eg brocolli, cauliflower, spinach.  Choose low fat, foods rather than butter for example, avoid high salt intake and cut down on hidden fats & sugars (cakes, biscuits, chocolate). You should cut out coffee and peanuts.  Also you should not take iron tablets. In fact if you Google you can probably get a list of foods to avoid and to include. 
  • Posted

Hi;

Cutting out gluten is very key for thyroid healthy.  Basically the protein portion of gluten closely resembles that of the thyroid gland. So when it enters the bloodstream, the immune system tags it for destruction and these antibodies also attack the thyroid since it is very similar in identity.  Also oddly enough cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc. are not good for people with thyroid issues. Cutting out sugar and processed foods will always help. Also taking a good quality probiotic will be very helpful. Another thing you might want to consider is doing a heavy metal test. I had one done and doing a chelation did wonders for my thyroid. Doing a hormone panel is a good idea too if you haven't done one already.  Hope this help! :o)

• Posted

Great, let me know how it works out for you!  Also, with natural remedies I am sure you know it takes a while to show effect. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.