Best foods for stomach/abdominal distress

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've read so many conflicting things on the Internet but it seems dairy or spicy foods aren't good, I would of thought Porridge would of helped but can't have mine without milk! What about things like plain muffins, ready salted crisps, poached eggs etc

What is safe and whats not?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

There is nothing wrong with spicy foods or dairy. The internet will tell you all sorts of foods are unsafe. This is very general advice and does not apply to everyone. The best way of finding out if a food is safe for you is to try it. If you react badly to it, only then avoid it. If it doesn't affect you, don't exclude it. Don't focus on what people tell you is bad for you.; discover this for yourself by experimenting with your diet. If you can tolerate milk, by all means try it and then you can have your porridge which is also good for you! Excluding milk/dairy products from your diet for no good reason, will deprive your body of the essential calcium it needs for healthy teeth and bones. There are a lot of food misconceptions out there at the moment. Your body's response to a particular food is what you should go by.

All the food types you mention are fine in moderation. Simply eat normally and don't worry. Stressing about what to eat or not to eat can actually irritate your gut. Try to relax about food. I try to avoid extremely fatty and spicy foods because they give me heartburn and problems digesting fats. However, that doesn't mean that they are unsafe foods to eat for everyone. I only avoid them because I have an intolerance to them. The trouble with what you read online, is that one food is good for you one day but bad the next. It is best to ignore these stories and follow a balanced diet without excluding anything unless you have to because of an allergy/intolerance or because you are on a calorie controlled diet. Simply enjoy your food, have sensible portion sizes and try to cook from fresh as much as possible.

• Posted

Hi Terance

Your post seems very confused, do u suffer from IBS???? There are many dairy alternatives on the market, soy, almond, oat milk. Any form of factory produced food is unadvisable, so try and clean, cook from fresh, if your want to snack try smoothies or fruit. Find out what works for you, it might be gluten you have trouble with.

good luck

• Posted

whats confusing? was just asking what foods people think are best to have, for anyone who has any stomach or abdominal distress

• Posted

It is Terance because you have not had a diagnosis, what is abdominal distress? pain? bloating? cramps? reflux, constipation? the runs?

You are asking people for their advice without giving a clear picture!!

We are not dr's , you should really seek medical advice and get tests done.

• Posted

I never said you were doctors so please get off your high horse! I was just asking about foods, I know this depends on what your symptoms are etc so maybe I should of worded the description better. Ill remember next time, my bad!

• Posted

It depends on the individual and the abdominal problem. Therefore a registered dietition should be consulted for a daily food menu.

• Posted

Hi terence58645,

I've got 2 responses for you.

1. I had IBS for about 12 years (age 17 to 29). Almost all of my symptoms, have completely disappeared since becoming a vegan in the last 6-8 months. The symptom that has been completely fixed was my chronic constipation, where I used to go about once every 2-3 days and spent 20-30 minutes on the toilet to do it. Now I go about twice a day and it takes less than 5 minutes every time.

2. When I've written point/option 1 about going vegan for IBS of CFS/ME, people seem to be unwilling to change their diet to make themselves better, so if you're the same as them, I would say that there are are certain foods that can affect your stomach/gut. Spicy foods always gave me stomach cramps (I'm talking maddrass style curry spiciness and above). If you like porridge (like I do), I'd suggest having it with a plant milk, which would remove the dairy from that meal (there are loads of different plant milks that have different flavours like oat, coconut, rice, soya, almond, hazelnut etc.) (if you try soya, I'd recommend trying the sweetened version with the porridge).

2.1) Eating some foods in moderation is fine, but if your body/gut has an intolerance to a certain food, eating even a small amount of this can give you negative effects.

• Posted

Thing is I don't know what foods I have/if a tolerance to? is there a test you can do?

I dont eat curries or very spicy food, the spiciest i can go is fajitas. I'm looking at changing my diet, trying different things to see what helps/or makes me worse.

I've had lots of stomach trouble over the years, either constipation/diarrhoea, upset belly so maybe there is a food intolerance I need to eradicate

and thanks for all the comments, appreciate it

• Posted

The best test you can do is a food diary and note down what you ate and what reactions you had to that food. Then you will know if any foods upset your stomach. If you have any reactions, avoid the culprit food. While you are doing the diary, include all food types (except spicy foods which you know cause you problems). In short, eat normally and only exclude foods that you react to.

• Posted

There is... I took an igG blood test, which I was recommended by someone who who used to have CFS. She said that since removing the foods that were flagged up on her igG test, over time, most of her her CFS symptoms have disappeared.

• Posted

do you ask your doctor for an igG blood test?

I did have a blood test today for my abdominal test.

and thanks Pippa I have started doing a Food diary but when I'm eating various foods won't it make it difficult eliminating the bad ones if I have a reaction (as I currently nibble on ginger snaps from Marks & Spencers :0)

• Posted

I didn't need this test because I am fine with foods. Eating various foods will not make it difficult because what you do is note down everything you eat and how you react to everything you are eating including your snacks. Write down 'no reaction' if you are fine with that food If you have a bad reaction, write down what reaction you had beside that food type. Then eliminate the food you reacted to.

• Posted

As much as a food diet can help though, not all foods will react in the same timescale, so it can make it difficult to ascertain which food(s) is giving you grief.

• Posted

Sorry, CFS is chronic fatigue syndrome. You can ask them, but they're usually very reluctant to give you one, so I went private for mine (it was about £150). (I'm in the UK, so if you're in America or another country it might be different for you.)

• Posted

The timescale doesn't matter; what matters is the reaction you have. I have reactions to very spicy and very fatty foods. It doesn't matter when I start reacting to the foods what counts is that I have a reaction in the first place and that tells me that I should avoid that food.

• Posted

The scales do matter because most people (including myself when I first started doing one of those) will not think about the food they ate 24 hours ago, but the most recent food they ate. That is, some foods will irritate your stomach and some will irritate your esophagus or bowels, so the timings will be different, but this makes it hard to pin down which food(s) it was.

• Posted

That is why you should record what you ate, what time you ate it and the reaction you get. You don't just record what recent food you ate, you note down all the food you ate including all the timescales If you do this, you won't find any problem.Ask a dietician to guide you through a food diary since you are struggling with it. In my case, when I react to a food, my reactions happen very quickly so I know what has been the culprit.

• Posted

I'm well aware of that, but what I'm saying is that you could get a reaction from a food, but it could be a food you ate 24 hours ago or one you ate 1 hour ago. I'd recommend getting the igG test regardless, it has certainly helped me and the person who recommended it to me.

I'm not struggling with it at all thanks, you just seem to be struggling to understand the point I'm trying to make.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.