Best Hospital for Pancreatitis in Boston

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a friend who is in a hospital where she is not receiving good care. They think she has pancreatitis. What hospital in Boston would people recommend for her to be transferred to and what doctor would you recommend?Thanks so much

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi ! 

I'm afraid that I can't help you regarding hospitals and doctors in Boston, as I live in Ireland. But, I was diagnosed with Acute Pancreatitis recently and when I asked the doctor about a possilble solution to my condition, I wasn't too happy with his reply. He said that there was no cure for it! But, nevertheless, he made the diagnosis and the treatment I got was ok and now I'm recovering and feeling a lot more hopeful as time passes as I have adopted a very strict diet and know that I have to stick to it. What they didn't tell me in the hospital was the need to take digestive enzymes which I later learned about on this sife. I have been taking them regularly and since I started I haven't had to take any pain medication. Neither my hospital doctors  nor my GP mentioned the importance of digestive enzymes. Alcohol is out completely for everyone with pancreatitis and some advise cutting out all animal fats as these are difficult to digest and therefore cause pain. A simple diet of lean chicken, no pork, no lamb or beef is the best way to go. Fruit and vegetables without processed food is possible.  Food supplements like vitamin c, grape seed extract are excellent. So, if your friend follows this diet she should recover fairly quickly, but she will have to stay on it for life, because if she doesn't the condition will reappear. I wish her luck and good health and this site is excellent as a lot of people on here can give her advice. But, it may be difficult to get people with knowledge of Boston in particular or it may not be! Good luck anyway.       

• Posted

Hi Pete, I'm really pleased to read that digestive enzymes have done the trick and reduced/eliminated your pain, I was wondering how you were getting on. 

BTW I'm going to ask my gastro guy about fat, he told me to not cut out all good fats and is happy I continue to eat salmon and tuna in oil.  Might be worth a stand alone discussion as I worry when I read how many AP and CP patients try to eliminate fat altogether.  regards Reef

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Reefsider.  Like yourself, I'm wondering about fat.What exactly are 'good fats' and 'bad fats' and how to measure the amount you eat. Maybe once you ask your gastro guy about them could you let me know what he had to say? Thanks! I read also that eating an excessive amount of fruit is bad for pancreatitis as fructose causes complications. I have been eating a great deal of fruit since my diagnosis trying to make up for other food that i used to eat, so, I have decided to return to just eating a normal amount of fruit instead of overdoing it.

All the best, Pete.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.