Best Items to Have Post Spinal Fusion Surgery - and one parting recommendation :)

Posted , 5 users are following.

3 Months post L3-S1 Fusion - 8 hour surgery - 6 days in hospital.  Good results so far.  Some very very helpful items and things to have if I ever have to have surgery again (hoping not to though).  Here is my list of must haves:

?1. Satin or Silk Sheets and Pillow Covers - Have at hospital (I did not and wish I did) and have a home (which I did) - massive affect on sliding and moving post surgery - no friction and you can shift/slide left to right when turning - this has to be my #1 recommendation and makes a tremendous difference with pain in moving in bed and getting out of bed from the barrel roll.

?2. Raised toilet seat - a must as it will lessen the pain going up and down - another must have when you get home.

?3. Grabber - 36" with rubber gribs at the end - a must have post surgery and getting home

?4. Ice Packs (I used frozen peas as they shifted better to surround the area) - a must have to reduce any post op swelling.

?5. Stool or Chair that is high (just did not want to write highchair lol) - you dont want to sit on anything low to ground as it will be very tough to get up.

?6. Easy and baggy fitting pajama bottoms and tops - nothing clingy

?Those are the must haves from me - and my last and biggest recommendation - walk walk walk walk walk walk as much as you can take - you will not want to and you will want to think resting in your chair or bed helps, but it does not get you healing quicker - more walking equals more blood flow to the surgical area and helps the bones fuse better.

?Cheers from New York City and all the best fellow spine fusion buddies.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

jim61401, your post is the first time I've heard of silk / satin sheets idea. I had 5 years of agony, 30 times every night, having to turn my legs using my hands, despite (untreated) prolapsed disc in my neck (C5-6) + (untreated) dislocated shoulder, along with unsuccessful removal of one of my 2 adjacent prolapsed discs in lower-back (C4-S1). Your tip about silk + satin makes perfect sense.

An extra idea would be to have waist-height furniture (example chest-of-drawers) for standing, with occasional rolling on feet (improving circulation) while holding on, meanwhile reading or writing. Helptul alternative when sitting (or getting up from chair) is too painful. Or for when not well enough to go walking. Works for me, anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.