Best Knee Walker ??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been cleared for a knee walker.  Woo-hoo!

Any suggestions to brand and type?

Altho I have a prescription, I don't believe my insurance will be covering this.

Thanks much!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I rented one from a medical supply for $75/month. It had 4 wheels handbrakes and handbrake locks.
  • Posted

I have been borrowing one- it is a Free spirit- also would have rented if I needed one. There are a lot of things I would have preferred to be different on it, but for a few mos- it is working.  If you will be using it outside- you will want to research which ones are better.  I was hoping to be able to get out in the evenings and 'stroll---- well wheel'- around the neighborhood, but the wheels on mine are not good for outside.  It has been fine for my few outings to costco and the food store and of course in the house.

Consider the seat- we purchased a sheepskin and extra padding as I got a sore on my knee the first few times.  The doc put a padding under my cast to help cushion it a little more.  Some of the seats have 2 sections- where your knee is protected from touching the seat- I would definately consider that. (though it has been fine since i put the padding on.).  

Some have the seat where it can be over to the side where your injured foot is- again, the one I have is not and my back gets tired as I have to lean to the left a tad (my right foot is broken).

I did phone places around here that rented but the 3 in our area all had the same brand that I am borrowing.  

Be sure the brakes lock though I  would guess all of the do.  Look at the wts- if someone will be bringing it down steps to put in the car- you do not want a super heavy one - i believe mine weighs 22-23 pounds so is very reasonable.

I have been very thankful to have it for sure.

Our insurance requested a letter of medical necessity and prescription and would have looked at it to pre-approve, but once we had a friend offer to lend hers- there was no need.  You may want to call your insurance, but all that would take time and i know you are anxious to be moving around.

Best of luck!

• Posted

Thanks for all of the tips.  I am hearing that the brakes are very important, "steerable" function, and four wheels (as opposed to three).

My insurance won't pay for the knee walker (altho they did pay for wheel chair and regular walker).  I will be using the knee walker 6-8 weeks and it rents at $40 a week so buying one at $169 on Amazon may make the most sense.  I have more research to do.  I am finding that every model has its detractors in the review section - which I guess is par for the course.

Thanks again for all of your helpful info - especially the info about getting around outside.  This seems to be an issue and there are actually "all-terrain" models - like someone would take one mountain climbing..... ha-ha

• Posted

We ended up buying mine used from a medical supply store with a sheep skin cover that is easy to wash the n the machine. Mine has two same sized wheels in the front and the back. Also I have two hand brakes which if I squeeze slowes me down defending a ramp. Also these brakes can b locked by pushing down to n the handbrake.

I have loaned mine to a friend who just had surgery. She had borrowed one from another friend with only one brake, big wheels & one larger wheel in front. It was not stable and she said it was very difficult to maneuver in the house.

Anyway there r differences, choose carefully, b careful.

Best regards, Karran

• Posted

Karran,

Great advice.  Thanks!  The last thing I want to do is tip over....

• Posted

I left you a message. The brand I suggested very sturdy. Comes with a basket. Independence, fun , yay!
  • Posted

I bought a Drive model 796. Trimalleoar injury right ankle 8/14, surgery 8/25. Currently NWB fot at least 6-more weeks.5
    • Posted

Thanks for the recommendation.  I went with a similar model by the same manufacturer.!  :-)

• Posted

I Ended up getting the Iwalk knee walker and it has helped me.. I am a very active person with 3 kids and its saved me from losing my mind after a my talanavicular fusion.. I can go up/ down stairs get my mail down the driveway and have even used it in playing soccer with the kids... Limited time on it is a big deal though.. Like any other knee walker device try to keep elevated because after surgery on June 30th I am not in pain but sometimes swells quite a bit.. Good luck!
    • Posted

Glad you were able to find one that works for you.   I wish I could get the mail- we have 8 steps to get out of the house- so I am kind of stuck.  It requires me and the hubby to get me down- he carries the other crutch and I use the railing.  I always look forward to the mail.....

So you are about a month ahead of me- I will certainly hope the pain is gone by that time- I am almost 6 weeks out from the injury and still miserable.  Such is life- there is light at the end of the tunnel- just a really long tunnel!  I hear you about the swelling... i got a lot too, but sounds like all this is normal.

Enjoy those 3 kids- I hope they are old enough to help you some.  

Best of luck 

• Posted

You.......are........playing soccer with your children?  That is incredible.

How did you use the knee walker to go up/down stairs?

• Posted

It straps onto your leg around the thigh, knee, and calf with your foot behind.. Almost like a prosthetic.. Once you get comfortable with using it you can turn sideways and go down stairs peg leg first.. It is something I do often now because my laundry is down in my basement.. I was shocked when I was told it was something people used it for.. But it works and well!
    • Posted

You will get there.. My pain tolerance is kinda different. I wasn't in pain after a week but I take vitamins and omega 3s made a huge difference I think! Hang in there, we feel your pain..

• Posted

I saw those contraptions on line and wondered how they were.  That is good to know!  WE have 3 stories in our home too- everything I need is on the main floor but we have a lower level where we watch TV... so I have been using a crutch and the bannister to get down and use my but to get up... but need help on the last step to stand.  Hope none of us EVER go thru this again, but will for sure keep it in mind ...........
    • Posted

wish I could say the same for me- I take both those things and a host of other stuff - not doing much.  I think we all just ahve differetn experiences.  I have been told i have a high pain tolerance in the past  but don't feel like it these days.  I honestly think the nerves and how much they are affected plays a huge part in it.  I just have one area on my inner ankle that won't quit- a sharp burning pain- and never lets up.... it will get better-  9 days til I get a boot and am hoping the foot will have more room to swell!

• Posted

I found the boot very liberating.  There is more space, it is adjustable, and I could get to my foot and leg to scrub them.  This morning I was using a skin file to (gently) start taking off some of the dead skin that had built up.  Here's praying the same for you!

• Posted

Sorry to hear that 😢 Gets better.. I have an issue with elevating and icing as I should.. I hate sitting around makes me crazy.. I know with the cast on my foot was angry.. Felt like the cast was tipped and it ached. Every appointment is a milestone.. That's how I look at it.. i was so happy when I got my cast off and soaked then scrubbed my foot.. Soo gross lol

• Posted

I can hardly wait.  and to clean between my toes.... heavenly... this cast covers my toes too frown.  But.... it is temporary and I can for sure wait 9 more days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.