Best Medication for Social Anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi...I have suffered from social anxiety for the last 12 years and tbh have never really confronted it head on and have avoided it rather than try and beat it.

I am now at a stage in my life where Ive had enough of it and am determined to fight it and hopefully overcome it or at least manage it in a way I can live life.

All or any replies would be very much appreciated.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Probably benzos (benzodiazepines). I'm not sure how you'd go about asking a doctor to prescribe them for you though, without them thinking you're 'drug seeking', but they do prescribe them. Google benzodiazepines and have a read. 

• Posted

Hi Emily,

My partner has social anciety and I have GAD. My partner used setraline and it really helped him keep calm and collected when in situations that concerned him. As for me I use fluoxetine and it was a life saver, I am on 40mg but may need to increase my dose as the anxiety has come back to haunt me!.

It does honestly differ from person to person I suggest going to your doctor and be strong because I had to go back 5-6 times before they took me seriously and get the help that you need. Maybe suggest CBT sessions they helped me in the long run to control my anxiety.

• Posted

thanks alot guys.

Yes I have tried a few different types, citalopram, trazadone and currently on Veniflaxin which is helping slightly.

I'm determined to beat this. It dictates my whole life.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hello,

The first step is brilliant admitting that you need help to beat it. Anxiety is dreadful.

I have found Propranolol to be very helpful, could be worth asking for. It's a beta blocker, but it stops the physical sensations that go with anxiety: palpitations, shakes, dizziness etc. It stops the adrenaline rushes that drive the flight or fight mode. It's gotten me through a lot at work!

I have been given Sertraline (not sure about benzo's) but not ready to try it just yet. I have been told it works very well for anxiety though. Could be worth a ask?

Take care

Tom

• Posted

Should add that Propranolol is instant relief, I only take 10mg twice a day and had no side effects either.

With SSRI's and benzo's there is often an adjustment period you have to go through before you get better. Often you will hear people say it gets worse before it gets better. Normally it's 4-6 weeks

• Posted

We can all advise different medications and treatment. I would suggest your GP will help you and suggest a treatment plan

Good Luck

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.