Best medicines for psoriatic arthritis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis a little more than a year ago. Since then I have tried and failed Hydrochloroquine, Sulfasalazine, Methotrexate and now it looks like Otezla is not working well enough. My main symptoms are extreme joint damage that happened quickly, nail involvement on fingers and toes, swollen fingers & toes, depression & fatigue, and I had a heart attack when I was 29 years old! I have some mild psoriasis that broke out on my arm after a elbow replacement surgery, and now is on my scalp and forehead. SInce the Otezla is not working well enough at stopping joint damage, pain , and swelling, we are looking at other medicines now. I am temporarily taking prednisone 1.25 mg/ once per day for inflammation. It makes me feel happier and have more energy, but no change on joint issues. Has any one tried this drug and what were the results? Now we are up to Biologics. I want to know which ones have worked best for people with joint damage and less psoriasis? Tell me your stories! I am looking at Humira, Enbrel, remicade as well as others for treatment potentials. Maybe some of you with more experience know which work best for those of us with my kind of symptoms? Thanks for any information!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My symptoms were rapid joint pain, swelling, and damage, first in my toes, and then moving to my fingers. Only minimal psoriasis. I went through a long list of the usual meds as well and none of them worked. Eventually i got to biologics and my first one was Enbrel. I guess i got lucky because it worked quite rapidly and completely. That was probably 10 years ago. With no symptoms anymore, I am now trying to wean off of it.

Good luck,

Justin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.