Best meds for anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Long story short I've suffered from severe anxiety for about 20 years and I have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

What meds in your experience, have helped the most for anxiety?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

PTSD responds very well to therapy, better to look down that road than meds will will resolve nothing
    • Posted

I am in therapy and was diagnosed with PTSD and the medication has enabled me to work on CBT techniques etc.
    • Posted

Therapy has not worked for me and the psychiatrist told me therapy would no longer help for the time being, only medication will help for now and a positive healthy lifestyle.

I'm terrified of medication which is why I haven't started yet, despite being prescribed Risperidone (I'm not down to take anti-psychotics like that).

• Posted

Unfortunately I don't respond to therapy and my psychiatrist (at a hospital) believe it or not, told me to stop since it's a waste of time in my case specifically.

She said the only way I'll be able to function in life is if I'm on some pretty heavy medication which is a conclusion I came to a while ago after trying everything under the sun but meds.

• Posted

Psychiatrists are brain chemistry experts, they know little of therapy. If they did say that then they should be struck off. There are many forms of therapy, not responding to a single form of therapy doesn't render therapy useless. Even dangerous psychopaths respond to therapy so I really doubt you are the only individual who wouldn't

• Posted

Well.. I'm not saying what you're saying isn't true because I don't doubt you're right : ) Although in my experience, it hasn't worked unfortunately..

I've only tried CBT and stuff, I've heard EMDR can help?

• Posted

What happens is that I feel good talking to the person although my symptoms always remain present.. and after I walk away from my therapy session, I come back down to earth and still feel all my symptoms full blast, talking doesn't make it go away for me : (

• Posted

Try emdr and dbt not cbt. When there is trauma they use dbt.
    • Posted

Dbt looks promising, I'll look into it! Thanks.

• Posted

I'm on citalopram and I'm ok on it so far. My gp told me venlafaxine is the gold standard for anxiety meds but I couldn't get on with it. I've heard good things about fluoxetine too. I think it depends on how each individual reacts to the drugs.

• Posted

Ok thanks! Citalopram seems to come up a lot amongst people with anxiety, my gp prescriped it years ago although I never took them, will most likely give them a shot.

It for sure depends on the individual.

• Posted

I am on Venlafaxine - 375mg , Mirtazapine - 45mg  for depression  , just started Pregabalin - 150mg for anxiety . Have had no problems with any of these .
    • Posted

Awesome, so you think they work well for you? Did you start them all at the same time, or did you add them in one by one?
    • Posted

My GP prescribed Mirtazapine but i cannot remember when but it is at least 3 years because i was on them to help me settle at night time , was 15mg , then upped to 30mg then upped to 45mg , i personally felt that 45mg didn't work as well as 30mg - i have heard of stories that this tablet gives weight gain but because of blood clots on lungs , arthritis in both knees i am not active anyway , also i have heard of stories that they give you a sweet tooth - but not myself as i have little interest in sweets , chocolate , cakes , though i do like ice lollies an eat mainly fruit . I was referred to local CMHT December 2014 ,   last Summer ( 2015 ) i was put on low dosage of Venlafaxine by psychiatrist - that was gradually put up tp 375mg - mornings , Summer of this year i was prescribed the Pregabalin ( for severe anxiety - 3 times a day , then late Summer i was prescribed Tryptophan supposed to take 3 tablets 3 times a day but couldn't cope with 3 tablets so do 2 tablets 3 times a day - vitamins apparently , also early summer i was prescribed Promethazine to be taken at night time , i also have diazepam to take as an when required , So no didn't start them all at the same time , psychiatrist have more powers then GP's from what he said hence why psychiatrist has been prescibing more an more tablets which i am getting tired of because in total i have 11 different tablets to take each day ( rest are for physical health ) , i personally don't feel that these medication is helping as my depression is getting any better but my psychiatrist says she won't start changing until more recent problems with my physical health which is effecting my mental health is sorted . So there we go - sorry i rambled on . Regarding therapy - CBT was no good for me as i have trouble verbally expressing myself but i did enjoy the Art Therapy i did 6 sessions late Spring , early Summer an once my health has settled a little then i shall do another 6 sessions next year , like drawing , etc , please take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.