Best meds for anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I am taking Citalopram for my depression concerning my body dismorphia. On it a month but not kicked in yet. Bad side effects.

I badly need something for my anxiety. Could anyone tell me the best meds for anxiety? Also...If any have less side effects.

thanks

sophie ☺

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Sophie,

I take cit for my anxiety it has helped it a lot considering I had really bad physical symptoms which are basically gone I do still have anxiety on and off but it's not as intense it just sits in my chest like butterflies. It took about 6-8 weeks for it to kick in properly though I didn't really have much side effects because of the physical symptoms I already had but I did have heightened anxiety. Maybe if your unsure you could go back to the doctors and see what they say. They might up your dose or change you to something else which might be more effective. I hope this helps and you feel better soon!

Cassandra

• Posted

I'm not a doc but know how bad these meds can be till they kick in.Would the doc not prescribe diazepam as well even short term as it has a calming effect?
  • Posted

Well there are only 4 type of antidepressants: tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors  - Citalopram for example), MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors ) and some atypical modern ones. Tricyclic ones are old-class and I didn't find them helpful at all.. On top of that they have a lot more side effects than SSRIs. Their adverse effects are more serious. The same goes for MAOIs. MAOIs also have a pretty bad interaction with some food and medication, I don't suggest them. Citalopram usually takes 3-4 weeks to start working, but you probably won't experience FULL positive effect until week 6-8. If I was you I'd take them for a week or two more and if there are no positive effects slowly cancel it (first take them every other day, then slowly cancel).
  • Posted

Another thing; with antidepressants it usually gets much worse before it gets better. Don't fret because of that.
  • Posted

Hi all I'm trying to go the drug free way. Can anyone tell me I was taking sleeping pills Zoplicone - only had 4 - 3.75mg -and want to take 5HTP - how long do I need to stop taking sleeping pills before starting 5HTP.  I think it only stays in the system for 7 hours??  I used to have citalopran 5 yrs ago and although I have prescription sitting there I cannot bring myself to process it as I did have major anxiety

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.